Petition for non-Carleton Programs
In order to receive credit and financial aid for a non-Carleton program, you must petition the Off-Campus Studies Committee no later than the third Thursday of the term prior to the off-campus term. Petitions are processed on a rolling basis. They will not be considered retroactively and late petitions are accepted only at the discretion of the Off-Campus Studies Director. Financial aid will be released only after the Student Financial Services Office has been notified by the OCS Office that your petition has been approved.
Your program application deadline will probably be different and may be later than the OCS petition deadlines listed below. It is not necessary to wait to hear about the outcome of your application before you complete and submit your OCS petition.
For 2012-13 OCS Petition Deadlines are:
September 27, 2012 - for Winter 2013 programs
January 17, 2013 - for Spring 2013 programs
April 18, 2013 - for Summer/Fall 2013 programs and Academic-year 2013-14
There are three types of petitions, depending on the program.
- Petition only
- Petition + University Enrollment Review
- Petition + Full Program Review
The type of petition required is listed in the OCS program browser. A list of programs requiring petition only can be found here. Programs that require a University Enrollment Review are IFSA-Butler, Arcadia CGS, IES, CIEE, and ACM-Brazil. If a program is not listed in any of these places, it most likely requires a full program review. Check with an OCS adviser to be sure. Contact Helena Kaufman (email@example.com) or Naomi Ziegler (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The OCS Petition consists of the following pieces, which are available in the OCS office or as a PDF. Please note that ALL three types of petitions (for affiliated programs, university enrollment, and unaffiliated programs) consist of the first six items below. The supplemental materials for university enrollment and unaffiliated programs are listed further below, under the appropriate heading.
1. Yellow Petition form (this form is only available in the OCS office; you cannot download it from our website)
- Student Name, ID, Major & Graduation Year
- Program Name, Sponsor & Dates
- Signature of Academic Adviser
- Signature of Dept Chair (for current sophomores only)
- Signature of International Student Advisor (if applicable)
- Signature of Student
2. Degree Audit (available for download on the Hub)
3. Short Essay
4. OCS Participation Policies Agreement
5. Budget Worksheet
6. Supporting Cost Estimate from the program provider’s website or brochure
7. Printout of airline itinerary with cost, if applicable
The University Enrollment Review includes:
1. The 7 pieces described above
2. University Enrollment Program Review form with answers to questions attached
3. Faculty Evaluation form
The Full Program Review includes:
1. The 7 pieces described above
2. Program Review form with answers to questions attached
3. Faculty Evaluation Form
4. Two copies of the packet in addition to the original
Notification about Off-Campus Studies Petitions Approval or Denial
You will receive a letter of approval or denial for participation in your proposed off-campus program from the OCS Office.
If your petition is approved and you are accepted into the program, you must confirm your participation with the program.
If your petition is denied, you may not participate in the program for Carleton credit. You may inquire in the Dean of Students Office about taking a leave of absence to participate in the program without earning Carleton credit.
If your petition is approved, but you are not accepted into the program, OR if you decide not to participate in the OCS program for which you were approved, you must notify the OCS office in writing (email is acceptable). You will be able to register for classes as usual, and you will be guaranteed campus housing.