The mission of the P.E.A.R. Department at Carleton College is to promote the self-realization of the students through regularized activity and positive social interaction with a strong emphasis on health, fitness and skill development. This outcome is achieved through a variety of opportunities appropriate to a wide range of student interests and abilities.
Departmental goals derived from the P.E.A.R. Mission Statement:
Carleton College students who have participated in and have successfully completed Carleton P.E.A.R. programs should:
- Develop self-realization and a positive self-image.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the benefits (short-term and long-term) of regular activity and have specific strategies of accomplishing personal goals related to health and fitness.
- Exhibit skill and fitness development as well as understand specific methods for self-testing and assessment.
- Understand and be able to use strategies, rules and terminology associated with specific physical activities.
- Appreciate and value positive social dynamics and group collaboration in connection to physical activities.