SMDEP Application Due
Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:
- be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college;
- have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5;
- be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa; and
- not have previously participated in SMDEP.
Other factors considered in the admissions process include whether an applicant:
- identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine and/or dentistry (as defined independently by each program site);
- comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background;
- has demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations; and
- submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.