The program is funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation with direction and technical assistance provided by the Association of American Medical
Colleges and the American Dental Education Association.
Who Is Eligible for SMDEP?
To be eligible for SMDEP, an applicant must:
- be currently enrolled as a freshman or sophomore in college;
- have a minimum overall GPA of 2.5;
- be a U.S. citizen or hold a permanent resident visa; and
- not have previously participated in SMDEP.
Other factors considered in the admissions process include whether an applicant:
- identifies with a group that is racially/ethnically underrepresented in medicine and/or dentistry (as defined independently by each program site);
- comes from an economically or educationally disadvantaged background;
- has demonstrated interest in issues affecting underserved populations; and
- submits a compelling personal statement and strong letters of recommendation.
Each SMDEP site makes its admissions decisions on a "first come, first served" basis, therefore applying as early as possible increases your chance of being selected at your designated program site(s).
To learn more about the program visit www.smdep.org.