Russian major requirements
Requirements for the major:
63 credits, including the following:
- Russian 205 and 207 or 307
12 credits of survey courses in English chosen from the following:
- Russian 150: Contemporary Russian Culture and Society
- Russian 268: Russian Fiction of the Soviet Era
- Russian 244: The Novel to 1917
- Russian 255: Russian Cinema
18 credits numbered 330 or above, six of which will normally be Russian 395
Up to six credits in Russian 301
Remaining credits may be chosen in consultation with the advisor from departmental offerings, study abroad, appropriate methodology courses, related courses in other departments. Of particular interest:
- History 240: Russia to 1917
- History 241: Russia since 1917
- Literary and Cultural Studies 245: Introduction to Critical Methods
- Economics 231: Soviet and Post-Soviet Economics
- Political Science 323: Russian Government and Foreign Policy
As you plan your schedule, keep in mind that many courses are offered only once every 2, 3 or even 4 years. Survey courses are offered only one per year, so it is best to start early and plan ahead.
Tips for majors:
- Think of each course you take as a building block in your major.
- Take careful notes on the readings and in class. At the end of each term, review and organize your notes to ensure that they are in a form that will be of use to you later in your career.
- Get in the habit of thinking through connections between the materials presented in various courses.
- Learn key dates early on so that you can start building a framework for your understanding of Russian cultural history.
- Talk to your advisor not only about courses and requirements, but about intellectual questions.