As part of Carleton's assessment initiative, the SOAN Department of has identified six Student Learning Outcomes for SOAN majors. These are in addition to Carleton's broader outcomes for all students.
As a SOAN major, you will learn to
- Articulate the complexity of contemporary socio-cultural phenomenon in their many dimensions (e.g. temporal, structural, spatial and symbolic).
- Formulate appropriate sociological and/or anthropological research questions about socio-cultural phenomena.
- Select appropriate sociological and/or anthropological research methods to study socio-cultural phenomena.
- Apply sociological and anthropological theory to analyze socio-cultural phenomena.
- Describe how sociology and anthropology interact with one another and contribute to various interdisciplinary conversations.
- Engage the world by drawing upon your understanding of historical and contemporary socio-cultural phenomena.