As part of Carleton's assessment initiative, the SOAN Department of has identified six Student Learning Outcomes for SOAN majors. These are in addition to Carleton's broader outcomes for all students.
As a SOAN major, you will learn to
- Connect information about historical and contemporary socio-cultural phenomena.
- Formulate appropriate sociological and/or anthropological research questions about socio-cultural phenomena.
- Select appropriate sociological and/or anthropological research methods to study socio-cultural phenomena.
- Apply sociological and anthropological theory to analyze socio-cultural phenomena.
- Describe how sociology and anthropology interact with one another, interact with other liberal arts disciplines, and contribute to various interdisciplinary conversations.
- Draw upon your understanding of historical and contemporary socio-cultural phenomena to engage the world.