If your plans include grad school after leaving Carleton, you should have a major research paper completed by the end of your junior year. You'll need this polished research effort for successful application to graduate schools. If you plan to wait a while before applying to grad school, your comps research will usually more than suffice.
The AAA and ASA guides to graduate departments are available in the SOAN lounge, and you might like to see U.S. News and World Report's rankings for graduate programs in sociology.
Here's a sample of graduate programs that Carleton SOAN majors have entered since 2000.
- Boston College Management
- Duke University Public Policy
- George Mason University Transportation Policy
- Harvard University Sociology
- Indiana University Ethnomusicology
- Johns Hopkins University International Studies
- Washington University New Eastern Studies
- North Texas State University Gerontology
- Northeastern University Education
- Seattle University Law
- Tufts University Nutrition
- University of Chicago Latin American Studies
- University of Minnesota Urban Planning
- University of Vermont Natural Resource Management
- University of Wisconsin, Madison Anthropology