Carleton College Cowling Arboretum Digital Archives
Search this collection
The Cowling Arboretum was established in 1927 by President Donald Cowling in response to a proposal by Botany Professor Harvey Stork. Originally envisioned as a landscape arboretum modeled after the Arnold Arboretum at Harvard, Stork planned a research facility to develop and test trees and shrubs hardy enough to grow in the Minnesota climate. While this expansive plan did not come to pass, the Arboretum is now 880 acres of land managed for education, research, recreation and conservation of natural plant communities. This growing digital collection comprises a variety of historical and contemporary materials relating to the history of the Cowling Arboretum, land management and restoration activities, student projects and staff and faculty research. Included are photographs, maps, proposals, reports, unpublished articles, miscellaneous letters and other documents. These resources are intended to provide students and faculty with background information on the Arboretum and suggest areas of follow up or future study. Citations of these materials should specify “unpublished material from Arboretum archives”. Questions regarding the materials should be directed to Nancy Braker, Arboretum Director, 507-222-4543.
Nancy Braker, Director of Cowling Arboretum, Lecturer in Biology
Restricted to on-campus use. Carleton students, faculty, staff, and alumni may access the collection from off-campus with their Carleton username and password.