Microsoft access is a robust database tool and connects directly to the data warehouse. It is important to note that, although you can change data right in Access because it's a database tool, if the data is truely outdated, it should be changed in the originating transactional system.
Access will allow you to do things with the warehouse such as:
- Connect data to your local spreadsheets
- Run reports from data from multiple transactional systems
- Create pivot tables for summary reporting and analysis
- Run queries to analyze data
- Prepare data to be moved to another tool, like Excel
You can find a lot of good information online pertaining to Access, including online tutorials on the Microsoft web site. Below is some Carleton-specific documentation that will help you to connect to the data warehouse, along with some of the specific functions in Access that you might use.