Watson Fellowship for Carleton College Seniors
For seniors graduating in 2015
At Carleton, the Watson application process occurs in four stages:
Step 1: Submission of proposal and related materials (5 copies) by October 6 at NOON;
Step 2: Reading of proposals by Carleton committee, selection of four nominees;
Step 3: Revision of proposals, submission to Watson Foundation by November 6 (3:00 p.m. EDT);
Step 4: Interviews of nominees by Watson Foundation representatives.
Step 1: Submission of the following by October 7 (5 copies, please) by Noon to Sarah in the Career Center (Sayles Hill 50):
- Cover Sheet (click here)
- Personal statement: Five typewritten pages that outline your personal and academic background, state why this project is important to you, and describe how the project will contribute to your personal and intellectual growth (not longer than 1,500 words)
- Project proposal: Five typewritten, double-spaced pages that set forth your project, outline your methodology, and offer details on the locations you will visit (not longer than 1,500 words) (See Watson web site for full descriptions of these statements)
- Recommendations. Names of two or three people who will read and comment on the proposal; at least one must be a Carleton faculty member who can speak directly to the project
- Photo: A recent photograph/snapshot of yourself
Step 2: Carleton selection of four nominees
A faculty committee will read all of the completed application folders, interview some of the candidates, and make up to four nominations.
Step 3: Revision of materials
The four nominees will work for two weeks with Professor Hecker on their proposal and personal statement, and the nominees are expected to work their way through at least three rewrites. The revised application folders will be sent to the Watson Foundation on TBD.
These completed application folders will include:
- A revised project proposal
- A revised personal statement
- Two letters of reference
- A recent photo (passport format)
- A current official transcript
Step 4: Interview by Watson Representatives
Each of the four nominees will be interviewed on the Carleton campus by one or more representatives of the Watson Foundation. The interviews may take place at the end of the Fall Term or the beginning of the Winter Term.