Hertz Foundation Fellowship
Class Eligibility: Senior
Disciplines: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, ENTs, Geology, Mathematics, Physics
Duration: Up to five years of support
Purpose: The Hertz Foundation's mission is to build America's capacity for innovation by nurturing remarkable applied scientists and engineers who show the most promise to change the world.
Eligibility: The following conditions apply:
- Only applicants who will have received a bachelor's degree by the time they propose to commence tenure of their Fellowships, and who propose to complete a program of graduate study leading to a PhD Degree are eligible. Applications are accepted from students who have already commenced graduate study.
- The proposed field of graduate study must be directed toward the understanding and solving of problems associated with contemporary human concern, using applications of knowledge from the physical and engineering sciences. This is in contrast to work whose primary purpose is to extend the frontier of knowledge in the physical sciences and engineering for the sake of new knowledge alone.
- Evidence of exceptional creativity, broad understanding of physical principles, and outstanding potential for innovative research is expected.
- Citizenship or Permanent Residency in the United States.
Funding: Fellowship Award is based on merit (not need) and consists of a cost-of-education allowance and a personal-support stipend. The cost-of-education allowance is accepted by all of the tenable schools in lieu of all fees and tuition. Hertz Fellows therefore have no liability for any ordinary educational costs, regardless of their choice among tenable schools.
Successful applicants have the choice of two Fellowship options:
Option 1: Five Year Hertz
- $ 31,000/ 9-month personal stipend
- Full tuition equivalent
- Renewable for up to 5 years (upon a showing of satisfactory progress toward receipt of the Ph.D. degree)
Option 2: Five-Year Coordinated
Hertz Period - Two Years
- $36,000/ 9-month personal stipend
- Full tuition equivalent
Other Fellowship Period - Up to Three Years
- $ 3,500/year supplemental stipend from Hertz
- Requires Awardee to accept a 3-year Fellowship from another source
Application Process: The application can be filled out online. You will need the following to complete the application:
- Personal Statement
- Official transcripts
- Letters of Reference from four different individuals who know well your academic and professional experience and ability
- GRE scores
Important Dates: The application will open in August. Interviewees will be selected by mid-November. Applicants will find out if they have received a fellowship in the spring.