Skip Navigation

Academic Regulations & Procedures

Double Major

Students wishing to declare a double major must obtain the approval of the chairs of the two departments concerned and petition the Academic Standing Committee (ASC), showing the plan for the two majors. Students must show they can graduate within 12 terms; the ASC will not award extra terms for a student to complete two majors, nor will the ASC allow students to finish a second major out of residence. To graduate, a student must fulfill the requirements of both majors. Students wishing to drop one of their two majors must do so by petitioning the ASC. Courses associated with the senior integrative exercise (comps) cannot be dropped after the drop/add deadline, so students wishing to drop one of their two majors must plan accordingly. Students are not allowed to complete a double major after leaving Carleton. The ASC has placed a moratorium on triple majors. Triple majors will not be entertained. The ECC will review this moratorium at a later date.

See also declaration of major, petitions and senior integrative exercise.

Last revised June 25, 2013
Keywords: double major, declaring a second major, petition

Last Reviewed: Jun 24th, 2015

Maintained by Dean of the College Office