Employment & Benefits
This section provides an overview of many benefits available to faculty and staff. In the event of conflict between the overview provided in this handbook and the plan document or insurance plan, the plan document or insurance plan will govern. Complete descriptions are not possible in the handbook; employees should contact Human Resources for specific plan details. The Labor Agreement governs in the case of Union employees in all aspects of this section. Regular employees who have a schedule involving a (.46) FTE or above are eligible to participate in the College’s benefit programs.
Carleton College will comply with all applicable laws such as FMLA, federal, state, and any applicable regulations.
Flextime (Flexible Working Hours)
The College has adopted a Flextime Program to allow any department to permit employees to set flexible working hours under authorized parameters if such parameters have been approved as operationally feasible by the department head involved.
"Flextime schedule" means a work schedule which includes designated hours during which the employee may, with the approval of the supervisor and under work unit plans approved by the division head, elect an alternative time of arrival for and departure from work. It may also include required days or hours during which an employee subject to the work schedule must be present for work.
- Flextime: Full-time employees set their own hours within College and departmental parameters.
- Core time: Mandatory working hours for all full-time staff (except for those required to work different schedules).
- Flexbands: Periods during the workday during which staff may determine their own schedules subject to parameters and departmental needs.
- Available range of working hours each day.
- Summer: Reunion Weekend to Labor Day.
The College is considered open:
- Academic year 8:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Summer 8:00 to 4:30 p.m.
Full time staff work schedules:
- 40 hours per week; 8 hours per day.
- All administrative and academic offices.
- Non-exempt (hourly staff).
- Department heads with approval of division head when flextime may affect interdepartmental work flow problems.
- Departmental "timekeepers" to double check time sheets before submission to Human Resources.
- Flextime Schedule
- Core time: 8:30 to 12:00 p.m. 3 1/2 hours
- 1:30 to 4:00 p.m. 2 1/2 hours
- 6 hrs out of 8 official office hrs.
- 7:00 to 8:30 a.m. (early flex) 1 1/2 hours
- 12:00 to 1:30 p.m. (mid-day flex) 1 1/2 hours
- 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. (late flex) 2 hours
- Bandwidth: 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. 11 hours
- Determined at departmental level.
- Changeable each academic term, winter and summer breaks or when departmental circumstances warrant.