Skip Navigation

Employment & Benefits

This section provides an overview of many benefits available to faculty and staff. In the event of conflict between the overview provided in this handbook and the plan document or insurance plan, the plan document or insurance plan will govern. Complete descriptions are not possible in the handbook; employees should contact Human Resources for specific plan details. The Labor Agreement governs in the case of Union employees in all aspects of this section. Regular employees who have a schedule involving a (.46) FTE or above are eligible to participate in the College’s benefit programs.

Carleton College will comply with all applicable laws such as FMLA, federal, state, and any applicable regulations.

Moving Expense Reimbursements

Individuals who have been pre-authorized to receive a moving expense reimbursement must complete the moving form and have it signed by Human Resources for non-faculty or the Dean of the College for faculty personnel.  Itemized original invoices are required for reimbursement. Contact information on moving contractors can be found on our consortium's websites:

Carleton College follows the IRS regulations for reimbursing moving expenses. Carleton College requires original receipts for the amount to be reimbursed.

Distance Test

Your new main job location is at least 50 miles farther from your former home than your old main job location was from your former home. (For example, if your old job was 3 miles from your former home, your new job must be at least 53 miles from that former home.)

Time Test

If you are an employee, you must work full time for at least 39 weeks during the first 12 months after you arrive in the general area of your new job location. Count only your full-time work as an employee.

Moving household & personal effects

You may deduct cost of packing, crating, and transporting your household goods and personal effects and those of the members of your household. You can include the cost of storing and insuring household goods and personal effects within any period of 30 consecutive days after the day your things are moved from your former home and before they are delivered to your new home.

Traveling expenses

Not meals; shortest, most direct route available by conventional transportation

Travel by car

  • Use actual expense (such as gas and oil for your car) if you keep an accurate record of each expense
  • Or  Standard Mileage Rates per IRS guidelines (attach mileage log or MapQuest type documentation), parking fees, toll, and lodging. 

Non-Reimbursable Moving Expenses 

Carleton College cannot reimburse for the following items as non-taxable moving expenses:

  1. Pre-move house hunting expenses
  2. Temporary living expenses
  3. Meal expenses
  4. Any part of general repairs, general maintenance, insurance, or depreciation for your car
  5. Expenses of buying or selling a home
  6. Expenses of getting or breaking a lease
  7. Security deposits (including any given up due to the move)
  8. Home improvements to help sell your home
  9. Loss on the sale of your home
  10. Mortgage penalties
  11. Losses from disposing of memberships in clubs
  12. Any part of the purchase price of your new home
  13. Real estate taxes
  14. Car tags
  15. Driver’s license
  16. Refitting carpets and draperies
  17. Storage charges except those incurred in-transit and for foreign moves.

For more information on Moving Expenses, look on the Web site

Last revised August 30, 2012
Keywords: moving;

Last Reviewed: Aug 21st, 2014

Maintained by Human Resources