Travel & Transportation
Headley Travel Fund for Professional Meetings
The College also supports professional development through the Headley Travel Fund. Faculty who are not eligible for the Professional Development Account (PDA) are able to apply to the Headley Travel Fund to support travel to professional meetings. Faculty eligible for the PDA can apply for supplemental support from the Headley Travel Fund as well. Since the first trip in each fiscal year must be financed through the PDA, faculty who apply for Headley Travel Funds will be asked to submit a list of expenses that have been charged to their PDA. Application forms for the Headley Travel Fund are available on the dean of the College Web site.
The College will contribute to travel expenses from the Headley Travel Fund, where the trip has been approved in advance, under the following conditions:
- Eligible expenses include: a) a competitively priced airfare for round-trip travel between Minneapolis and the meeting location, and b) $100 per night for up to two nights in residence during one professional meeting each year.
- The faculty applying to this fund may normally expect to receive funding for only one such request a year.
- In general, expenses will not be paid for trips to points less than 100 miles from Northfield.
- For travel by private car, mileage will be paid at the regular College rate for the use of private vehicles, provided this cost does not exceed the cost of round-trip airfare.
- Headley Travel funds are intended for use only where the trip or a portion of it is made specifically and primarily to attend professional society meetings. They are not intended to support attendance at such meetings which is incidental to travel for other purposes, e.g., holiday trips and family vacations.
Since the Headley Travel Fund cannot usually accommodate all the members of the faculty who apply for assistance from it, faculty who plan early and avail themselves of special incentive airfares can help to stretch the Headley Fund and allow more of their colleagues to travel. In addition, faculty who have received authorizations for travel funds, but due to a change of plans do not make use of them, are urged to inform the office of the dean of the college immediately of such a cancellation. Prompt notification sometimes makes it possible for a colleague's application to be approved.
Applications for grants from the Headley Travel Fund should normally be submitted to the office of the dean of the college before January 1, for approval in advance, and will be considered in the order in which they are received. A limited portion of the budgeted funds may be reserved until later in the year to allow for applications from faculty members who do not have adequate information before the January 1 deadline.