Skip Navigation

Prestigious Honor Bestowed Upon Professor Emerita, Anne E. Patrick

June 13, 2013

Anne E. Patrick, William H. Laird Professor of Religion and the Liberal Arts, Emerita, was awarded the John Courtney Murray Award at the 2013 meeting of the Catholic Theological Society of America. Named for John Courtney Murray, who was a renowned America theologian known for his work on religious liberty, this award is the highest honor bestowed on a theologian by a society. This award is given annually to a member of CTSA in honor of their lifetime of distinguished theological scholarship.

Carleton will welcome Patrick back to campus during its Alumni Reunion Weekend, and Patrick will appear as part of a special booksigning event on Saturday, June 22 from 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. in support of her latest release, "Conscience and Calling: Ethical Reflections on Catholic Women's Church Vocations" (Bloomsbury Academic/T & T Clark, 2013).

Her new book, "Conscience and Calling," probes the meaning and ethical implications of the powerful symbol of vocation from the vantage of contemporary Catholic women, with particular attention to the experiences of religious women. Learn more about it here.

A member of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary, Patrick is a past president of the Catholic Theological Society of America, the third woman elected to that office in the history of the society, which was founded in 1946. Patrick is also a founding vice-president of the International Network of Societies for Catholic Theology. Her writings on religious, ethical, and literary topics have appeared in many books and journals, and she is the author of "Liberating Conscience: Feminist Explorations in Catholic Moral Theology" (Continuum, 1997) and "Women, Conscience, and the Creative Process"(Paulist Press, 2011).

For more information on Patrick's appearance at Carleton College, contact the Carleton Bookstore at (507) 222-4153 or email bookstore@carleton.edu. The Carleton Bookstore is located in the Sayles Hill Campus Center, off College Street on the Carleton campus.