Welcome, New Carleton Students
We want to help our new students make the transition from high school and home to Carleton College as smoothly as possible. To guide you on your way, we've created this information center specifically for new students. If you still have questions after you've read these pages, feel free to contact us for assistance.
- All new students should review this site.
- International students should also visit the Information for International Students site.
- Transfer students should also review the Information for Transfer Students.
Mailing #1 (for students) will be sent in mid-May and contains your permanent Carleton username and a temporary password (which should be changed upon initial log-in), which you will use to log in and complete forms that are due over the summer. You cannot access these forms with the credentials you used during the admissions process.
Mailing #2 (for parents) will be sent in late May.
Please note: Carleton's fall term begins in mid-September; and though registration information is available by the middle of May, First-year students don't begin registration until mid-August.
- Keep track of forms and due dates with our online Checklist. NOTE: Access to online forms requires your PERMANENT Carleton username and password contained in Mailing #1, mailed the 3rd week in May. Do not complete forms until you receive these.
- Maps, schedules, and more info about your first week on campus, including information about academic advising.
- Your introduction to academic life at Carleton. We'll walk you through the first year essentials step by step, including the Argument and Inquiry Seminar pre-registration and the registration process for your other classes.
- Residential life, getting involved, exploring Northfield, and more.
- Tuition, fees and other money matters essential to incoming students.
- Medical services, Disability services, Student Health and Counseling Center, and other student support services.
- Links and resources to help your student make a smooth transition into life at Carleton
- Special information and instructions for transfer students.
- Contact information and fast answers to common new-student questions.
- Signup info and archive for the summer email newsletter to all students and opted-in parents.