Frequently Asked Questions


Can I use Student Health and Counseling if I don’t purchase the Carleton sponsored insurance plan?

Yes, but please note that health services beyond general diagnosis of illness and treatment of minor accidents provided by Student Health and Counseling are not included in the comprehensive fee of the College. Labs, x-rays, office visits and specialist referrals at the local health clinics/hospital are billed to your insurance company, or must be paid out of pocket. Many home-based HMO plans do not provide adequate coverage outside of your home area. Also, if you are considering study abroad options, these may not be covered under your current policy. We encourage you to review your current health insurance policy to verify that you are adequately covered while you pursue your academic interests at Carleton and abroad.

  • Sherri Regenscheid, 15 June 2005
  • FAQ courtesy of Student Health and Counseling
  • Keywords: insurance, coverage, labs, x-ray, office visit, specialist, medical, referral, out of pocket, study abroad, private insurance, health, services

Other FAQs

Site Index

Advising Handbook (back to index)

Disability Services for Students (back to index)

Foreign Language Placement Testing (OLD) (back to index)

Housing (back to index)

Information Technology Services (back to index)

New Students 2015 (back to index)

OneCard (back to index)

Post Office (back to index)

Student Health and Counseling (back to index)