Skip Navigation

Meeting Minutes

November 6th, 2006

  • Location: Sayles Hill 251
  • Time: 7:00 pm
  • Present: President Jim Watkins, Treasurer Peter Fritz, Elizabeth Gray, Ben Barclay, Tricia England, Rich Majerus, Jason Malashevich, Marshall McDonald, Erica Martinez, Brandon Walker, Evan Rowe, Romeo Chichirau, Kelly Carlin, Marquita Davis, Yirong Zhu, Ali Khaki, Love Anani,
  • Absent: Brittany Larson
  • Secretary: Signe Swenson

Call to order

Attendance Issues

Watkins asked Marshall McDonald and Elizabeth Gray to speak about the meetings they had missed. Marshall explained that one meeting he had missed because he had a test to study for. Senators discussed precedence and other issues associated with absences. Senators voted and did not impeach McDonald. Gray appealed her possible impeachment stating she was working on a political campaign and had other commitments she decided to focus on. Senators voted to not impeach Gray.

Officer reports

Watkins reported he got a job working for Citi group


BC

AHA requested funding to bring 2 speakers to campus to discuss AIDS

SAAC requested $100 from BC to donate to their toy drive for the Holiday season. BC recommended that CSA consider the request as it would break the bylaws. Senators discussed seed money and Gray stated that setting a precedence that Senate donates money to organizations may not be a good idea. Khaki stated that he would be comfortable funding a fundraising event rather than making a donation. Khaki made the motion for a bid of $0. Senators voted and approved the motion.

JSC withdrew their entire request.

Ebony II requested $378 for speakers and transportation costs for their performance on Saturday. BC recommended a full bid. Senators approved the bid.

Mock Trial requested $400 to help fund their first tournament. BC recommended a full bid. Tommy Walker spoke to the senators about their funding crunch due to less funds from the Dean of Students. They decided to save money by going to less tournaments, staying in cheaper hotels, etc. They will be asking for the same amount of money of CSA. Senators discussed funding food for tournaments. Davis stated she sees food as a personal expenditure. Smith-Ricco pointed out that other academic teams have cut costs in different ways and Mock Trial chose to attend fewer events. Khaki pointed out that Mock Trial is coming for the same amount of money each year and simply that DoS cut their budget, senators are looking at their requests are different. Khaki stated that just because DoS cut their budget CSA doesn't have to cut funding. Gray stated that senators should take into consideration that some students cannot afford to fund all of their own food. Fritz stated he supports funding food and acknowledged the absurdity of his statement. Barclay made the motion to amend the bid to $400 and recommended that the group meet with Sodexo. Barclay also recommended that the group apply to run the crepe stand. Senators voted and approved the motion.


Carleton Readership Program


Representatives from the USA Today readership program attended the meeting and spoke with senators about the program they would like to run at Carleton. Their program offers several different papers to be distributed that can be chosen by Carleton. Senate only would have to pay for the papers that are taken from the bins, not those unread. Students would also be able to access the online edition of USA Today. They offer 3 choices of papers, at St. Olaf the New York Times, USA Today and the Minneapolis Star Tribune. They will put out the most of the paper that is the most popular, no matter what paper that is. There is no contract and they will do surveys so they can get the papers that each campus prefers. CSA could change the newspaper selection at any time. Any paper that can be delivered to Northfield can be part of the selection.

CSA would pay a discounted cost on all papers. They also run a pilot program which is free to see which is the most popular. They operate on over 400 campuses. They can set up a capped program if there is a set budget. They also let students know about the program through fliers and notes. They also have a K-12 program in schools. They would do the delivering and setting up of the papers. They deliver papers at 5:30 in the morning and work with facilities to gain access to areas on campus. They retain information about what locations run out of papers and which papers are most popular so they can provide papers accordingly. They have open air dispensers and dispensers that require ID cards to be scanned so that faculty and staff aren't able to access papers funded by students. They also can provide recycling bins if facilities would like.

Senators opened discussion on switching to the USA Today program. Currently senate pays $200 per week, $6000 per year for just the New York Times. Barclay pointed out that the New York Times runs out nearly every day and cutting back the number of NYT to provide other papers. Gray pointed out that having a local paper would be extremely beneficial for students going to college in Minnesota. Smith-Ricco pointed out that this program may end up costing more than the current program. Khaki made the motion to discontinue the current program and adopt the USA Today program. Senators voted and approved the motion. They could start the program at the beginning of winter term.


Bylaw changes

Barclay and England reported that they have only gotten negative opinions on the bylaw changes. Carlin received positive response on the liaison positions and negative on the other changes. Barclay stated that the changes won't necessarily make senate races competitive. England shared that students appreciate being able to distribute their votes among several candidates and feel it accurately reflects their opinions.

Senators voted on the liaison position adjustments. Senators approved the changes unanimously. Senators then voted on the redistricting changes and unanimously opposed them.


Cmte Reports

Anani and Davis attended the MAPCS event over the weekend. They elected a new president. They shared information about Carleton's senate with the group and heard about all the other senates of the other schools. They are trying to increase Minnesota state grants. They would like all schools to participate in a day at the capital in May. The Minnesota grant funding has not increased in 10 years. They also discussed how private college tuition has gotten extremely expensive. They are also working with textbook companies to help students save money.


Student Resolution

Gray presented a resolution on the institutional placement of the ACT center. They are trying to establish the ACT center as a department in the Division of Student Life rather than a division of Campus Activities. Gray explained that the ACT Center has outgrown their current structure and having their own place in the division of student life says a lot about what the college thinks about the role of the ACT Center. They would also like to do more work with faculty and their current place with Campus Activities hinders this. When ACT was founded they were a national leader but they haven't grown enough since then. Anani stated his support for the resolution but asked how all students would be involved in ACT. A representative shared that they don't expect all students to volunteer through ACT but they would like to be open to all students. Khaki stated that he would like to send the resolution to Governance to change the wording to the official form for resolutions. Gray stated that several examples are shown on the senates website and that it also says that whereas statements should not be used when not necessary. Smith-Ricco shared he objects to using the names of other colleges in the resolution and would prefer if it sayed peer institutions instead. Smith-Ricco made the motion to change the wording and approve the resolution as such. Senators approved the motion.

Adjournment