Meeting Minutes

January 24th, 2011

  • Location: Sayles 251
  • Time: 7:00 pm
  • Present: President Jinai Bharucha, Vice President Isaac Hodes, Treasurer Sarah Duane, Senators Joe Marren, Jonathan Hillis, Kelsey Han, Justin Jack, Charlotte Turovsky. Asim Manizada, John O'Neil, Rhys Lindmark, Semira Mohammed, Marc Boyce, Arnav Durani, Bill Brinkman, Justin Moor, Carlton Keedy, Steve Moran
  • Absent: Noe Hernandez, Mackenzie Persen, Ned Heckman,
  • Secretary: Adele Daniel

Budget Committee Recommendations 

Admissions and Financial Aid Committee discussion about scholarships led by AFAC Liaison Jonathan Hillis

Academic Civic Engagement presentation and resolution led by Senator Charlotte Turovsky

Cafe Fast Request from Haiti Relief Carleton 

Trayless Tuesday Request for Volunteers

Discussion about Latin Honors led by Education and Curriculum Committee Liaison John O'Neill

Charter Approvals

Bylaw Edits by Bylaw Extraordinaire Isaac Hodes

Study Breaks discussion led by Class Reps

Open Comment Period

 

Budget Committee Recommendations 

The following recommendations were approved unanimously:

III. Food Truth

Amount Requested: $1100

Budget Committee Recommendation: $422

V. Lens

Amount Requested: $300

Budget Committee Recommendation: $250

 VI. Japanese Circle

Amount Requested: $115

Budget Committee Recommendation: $115

 

The following recommendations were approved individually:

I. The Cave

Amount Requested: $9022

Budget Committee Recommendation: $9022

Hillis: We did something similar last year.

Hodes: We got a compressor, which is one part of what the new thing does. It didn’t work as well as it should. This replaces their entire stack.

The recommendation  for the Cave was approved unanimously.

II. CANOE

Amount Requested: $4,183.98

Budget Committee Recommendation: $1184

Brinkman: What is this for?

Hodes: It is to pay for bringing the instructor.

Turovsky: This would come out of the general fund or honoraria?

Duane: Honoraria.

The recommendation for CANOE was approved unanimously.

IV. 9:30pm Eclipse

Amount Requested: $1500

Budget Committee Recommendation: $1500

Turovksy: Their budget was smaller because they don’t usually go to another tournament?

Duane: Yes, they were a less competitive team.

Turovsky: Last year we funded another GOP tournament.

Duane: Yes. Club sports and CSA kicked in more money last year, and GOP’s budget for this year was larger. We are hoping that will happen with Eclipse. We fund club sports.

Hodes: Aaron also doesn’t like for these things to happen. We should not expect it to happen, other than for unforeseen circumstances. I don’t think this is a dangerous precedent.

Hillis: These Frisbee teams are getting more selective and better, and there were changes in the national structure.

The recommendation for Eclipse was approved unanimously.

VII. 10:00pm Manuscript

Amount Requested: $2500

Budget Committee Recommendation: $2500

Hillis: This is for the two poets to come in and do a kick-off thing.

Duane: Yes, for two poets to perform at a release party and a workshop.

The recommendation for Manuscript was approved with Kelsey Han abstaining.

Turovsky: What does the budget look right now?

Duane: There is over $3,000 left in special allocations, $5,800 in Honoraria, $885 in the Diversity Fund. We are still waiting for Book Across the Bay and Lunar New Year.

Duane: For the CANOE request, $2000 came out of honoraria, and $500 out of special allocations for food and travel.

 

Admissions and Financial Aid Committee discussion about scholarships led by AFAC Liaison Jonathan Hillis

Martin: Last week we talked about moving the Access Fund money to the STAR Scholarship, since we are not getting that funded anymore. The STAR Foundation was funding 5 full scholarships from Asia. The Access fund, which funds lots of student right now, would be replaced by 5 regional International Scholarships, with along with three current ones, makes a total of 8 Regional International Scholarships. We are planning to do this. If there are objections, they should come out now.

Moran: What are the Access scholarships?

Martin: The idea was to decrease the amount of loan burden on students, but they didn’t increase the yield of low-income students, while the STAR scholarship did increase the yield of international students.

Hillis: The people who already have the scholarships would still get them.

Turovsky: The Access scholarships were enacted in 2008.

Manizada: Are those full scholarships?

Martin: No. It was on a sliding scale, paid proportionally based on the income level of the students to replace their loans with grants.

Bharucha: It seemed like they were measuring the Access scholarship against how it increased student yield. The more important measure of impact might be the impact on current students.

Martin: Saying that it is only about competitiveness doesn’t tell the whole story. People are concerned about the increasing loan burden. If there is then a drop of low-income students coming to Carleton, we might re-evaluate. We are also talking about how much loan burden we are giving a student. Right now we could say that we meet all need, but with just loans. We want to set a limit for that.  

Hodes: The STAR is what is making the biggest difference in what we see as student composition.

Hillis: Yes. We agree that while yield may not be the most important measure, but it makes sense when we are seeing such a large yield from international students.

Martin: If there is a break in the way that we grant international scholarships, that can break our marketing internationally.

Durani: Regarding scholarships, I believe that there are people on campus that are trying to raise money for scholarship amounts. People can pledge in the hundreds and thousands to get it STARted. Would Senate be able to contribute money?

Hodes: We fund the student activity fee scholarships.

Durani: We could put money into one of these funds.

Hodes: We pay for our scholarship, but it is line item, not endowed.

Durani: We could put some money into one of these funds, and it could be invested.

Hillis: The other issue we thought was going to be more pressing, but the numbers from this year are less than last year. It is about to become a big issue though, because there are going to have to be policy changes. We are reaching caps for financial aid. The money we have no longer fulfills the rules we set. There is likely going to be a task force on this, and it will be a large part of the strategic plan. We want a beginning direction for where this task force might go. There choices are a higher loan burden, less lowest income students, or less need sensitivity.

Hodes: Does the first imply the second?

Hillis: One is we accept whoever we want, and we have fewer grants, more loans. In the second, we accept fewer students who require a lot of aid. 

Hodes: So that correlates with the third one?

Hillis: Yes. The second one decreases the amount of lowest income students accepted. With the third option, we are more need sensitive, but it is spread out over a broader range of students--not just the highest need students.

Martin: We have the numbers of how need sensitive we have been in the past. The amount of aid needed has increased to the point where we end up at one of these options.

Hillis: This point of this is to see which one we prefer.

Lindmark: What percent need sensitivity are other schools?

Hillis: We have a 16-school peer group, and we fall in the middle.

Hodes: Can we table this to the end of the meeting?

Martin: This is a really deep topic, and if you would like to talk to me about it, you can meet with me.

Hodes: Which one would you choose?

Martin: I don’t know.

A motion to table this to the end of the meeting passed unanimously. Later, the discussion was moved to 6:15pm in Burton dining hall before next Monday’s meeting, for all of those interested. 

 

Academic Civic Engagement presentation and resolution led by Senator Charlotte Turovsky

Turovsky: This is the resolution that made us a member of Project Pericles.

Cannon: We are students at ACE. ACE generally means the relationship between the College  and the campus and the community. We are on second libe, and have nine students assistants.

Nash: ACE is distinct from the ACT center by supporting professors in incorporating community-based efforts into their classes. We put them into contact with community members to work with them in their curriculum.

Cannon: We had 27 courses in 14 different departments. Spanish 204 students tutor. Immunology created pamphlets for a local non-profit. Advanced ceramics makes bowls for Empty Bowls.

Nash: We have 517 students last year. Sometimes students don’t even realize it.

Nash: We also support national efforts, such as the census drive. We held a poster contest in conjunction with the art department. They were translated into different languages. Project Pericles is a consortium of colleges who agreed to foster students applying their learning to better the community. We are hosting a leadership workshop this coming Saturday. We are also doing a letter writing competition.

Cannon: In the future, we are working to get the ACE classes connected to the Register’s office so students can see that information more easily. We are working on expanding our community efforts to Faribault, and also the increased involvement of professors and students. We have had classes in many departments.

Nash: We want to further this culture of engagement on campus. Coming to CSA, we want to inform students about what they can do. The resolution will promote the involvement of academics and community.

Cannon: You can stop by our office at any point.

O’Neil: How would the endorsement of the CSA help you?

Nash: We want to explain what we are doing in hopes the CSA can represent the student body and say that civic engagement is important.

Turovsky: We want to get the word out. We want to be able to say to faculty that students are behind this. We want to get everyone on board. The board approved Project Pericles, and we want to go to all levels of the college.

The resolution is approved unanimously.

 

Cafe Fast Request from Haiti Relief Carleton 

Bharucha: We do 3 of these a term, this is the first of the term. We usually approve them first come first serve, as long as they follow the guidelines. Bon Appétit donates $2 per meal. That number is not going to change.

Allie: The money will go to the What If Foundation, an organization we've supported before and which serves meals at about 60 cents a plate. This means that each person donating their meal here can be providing 3 full meals to people in Haiti.

Turovsky: Can you tell us about the What If organization?

Allie: Sure, they give meals to people in Haiti, and they give 4 meals for every meal they gave up.

The request is approved unanimously.

 

Trayless Tuesday Request for Volunteers

Michele: We are going to be there Breakfast, lunch and dinner at every entrance giving surveys to every 15 people. We have a sign up sheet. The first two days are Monday and Tuesday of next week and Wednesday and Thursday of this week.

Duane: This is a great way to do the survey. This is a good way to go about assessing the success.

 

Discussion about Latin Honors led by Education and Curriculum Committee Liaison John O'Neill

O’Neil: I have discussed in this in the past, and I was wondering if people wanted to pass a resolution expressing our dissent

Hillis: Is there a problem with just raising the GPA requirement?

O’Neil: We basically are raising the GPA requirement, because the percent system does that.

Brinkman: There is a difference because with the solid requirement you are not competing with classmates.

O’Neil: Bates does it for a rolling average for the past three years.

Brinkman: Yes, it gives you the same effect.

Moor: The requirements would be based on previous year, or would we adjust them ever year? I’m in favor of making the cut-off based on last year, rather than deciding right at the end of the year.

Turovsky: In the resolution, we should say that we value the importance of honors, but we want to make sure that any change does not create cutthroat competitiveness.

Brinkman: There are a lot of ways to do this, but we want it to be a pre-determined cut off not hinged on how well classmates do.

O’Neil: So we can express dissent with the current system and then create a framework for a different way.

Hodes: That’s what I’m hearing. If you want to aim for Latin honors, there are courses you can take.

O’Neil: That students are taking easier courses to get honors was discussed. The elimination of Latin Honors was also discussed.

Hodes: Where did that go?

O’Neil: The compromise was the 15%. Adjusting the GPA cut off every year is just the same as the percentage system. Right now students are singled out if they don’t receive honors.

Lindmark: It sounds like the foundational problem is that we have grade inflation.

O’Neil: Next year we are talking about grade inflation or grade elevation. Many teachers brought this up at the faculty meeting. The ECC will discuss that next year.

Brinkman: What was your impression about that?

O’Neil: There was a wide range of opinions.

Hodes: We don’t like that this might lead to cutthroat competition.

Han: I’m not just worried about the competition, but also I want to know that I will be rewarded for my hard work regardless of the number. I’m in favor of getting rid of them.

O’Neil: It is a viable option.

Mohammed: To be on the Dean’s list is also percentage?

O’Neil: We haven’t talked about that in the ECC, but some students brought that up.

Manizada: Are you considering talking about that?

O’Neil: We made Latin Honors more like the Dean’s list.

Manizada: Does the Senate have an opinion on that?

O’Neil: No.

 

Charter Approvals

Hodes: These are old charters that people wanted to update, but we don’t have the old charters. There are three that we approved, and a few we sent back. Carleton Graphic does the comics journal. Carleton Role Playing Association.

Moor: We overhauled our old charter. It used to be all historical reenactments. We created new positions.

Hillis: Is this like larping?

Moor: It is regular role-playing. It is still nerdy, but not that bad.

O’Neil: You use Caucus?

Moor: We do.

Hodes: They changed the nature of the organization structure. They have a non-conventional structure, but we did approve it. That might come up in the future. The last one is Salsa and Latin Club. They teach and dance.

The charters are approved unanimously.

 

Bylaw Edits by Bylaw Extraordinaire Isaac Hodes

Hodes: This allows Budget Committee to table requests. We are always going to have enough time, and this way Senate doesn’t have to deal with the $0 bid. It is a bit complicated, because a request that is tabled when the group needs the money sooner is basically a $0 bid.

The Senate approved the bylaw edits unanimously. 

Study Breaks discussion led by Class Reps

O’Neil: I talked to Goodhue about the printers.

Manizada: SCIC is still figuring out the campus wide network. Steve is figuring it, and other stuff out.

Bharucha: Do they class reps want to resume study breaks? Let’s sign up.

Senate signed up (or signed others up) for different dorms.

 

Open Comment Period

Bharucha: Who needs help with their projects? Mohammed, you were working on communications.

Mohammed: I emailed people. I don’t really need help.

Duane: I was going to make a form for the money thing tomorrow. Tomorrow at 9pm in student activities. We need help finding any way to promote things.

Hodes: In the future, I will be working on what CSA wants from a Sayles renovation. I always need help on the bylaws. Governance Committee needs to be working on it.

Moran: The printer in Goodhue problem. People want a 16-meal plan, and apparently that is very hard. I’d like to get rid of Go-Print.

O’Neil: I have faith in you.

Boyce: Class reps have been doing things. We talked about the massage chair and helped Moran. We talked about the 16-meal plan and study breaks, and Sayles printer that doesn’t work.

Bhala: The problem is with the network. They are working on fixing it. It takes years and millions of dollars to fix.

Bharucha: You could hold meetings for opportunities of members of your class to voice complaints. You can talk about reaching out to your constituents.

Turovsky: I’m working on today’s resolution, and then also Wellness center and EMT services.

Keedy: I want to take advantage of the class email.

Lindmark: EAC is doing an emissions report.

Brinkman: I’m working on the massage chair and improving awareness of Carleton.

Durani: I’ll bring information about the scholarships to next meeting.

Hillis: AFAC. You’ve heard about it.

O’Neil: We finished course evaluations, and opening the tunnels for tours.

Bharucha: We want a few days of major advertising around the course evaluations.

Han: I’d like to take ideas.

Bharucha: The town hall meeting is CEDI focused, but usually CSA is involved.

Manizada: Sayles renovation plan.

Mohammed: I’m working to create a calendar of events for black history month.

Duane: I’m still working on the contest.

Bharucha: I’m working on the elections. There is a meeting tomorrow at 9pm. You can come and talk if you want.

Turovsky: We have the athenaeum for debates.

Bharucha: We might not even need microphones.

Hodes: I’m working on bylaws, Sayles, Cave Investment.

Bharucha: I don’t want to waste the term.

Jack: I’m am on CEDI’s learning outside the classroom committee, and we are working to include novels in the textbook rental program of the bookstore.

Bharucha: What about ex-co? It seems to be going on outside of Carleton. Does anyone know anything else that we can work on?

Manizada: Automatic flushing toilets waste a lot water.

Hodes: And they scare me.

Manizada: People are pissed.

Mohammed: CEDI is also working on a faculty mentorship program for GSC.

Turovsky: We are still working on creating a database of traditions.

Duane: I would do that, and we can expand that of the Carleton wiki.

Turovsky: Yes, and we can link it to Admissions and the archive. It merits a lot of time and attention.