- One of the mysteries of the Iranian regime is the "morality police." Are they part of the government? Under whose authority do they operate? Or are those questions that only an ignorant non-believer would ask?
And what would be the ... more
- Beneath the apparent absence of cleavages in China, there is diversity. What are the political reasons for the differences between policies in Hui and Xinjiang?
Light Government Touch Lets China’s Hui Practice Islam in the Open
As the call to ... more
- Treadmill. 59 minutes. 9 miles.
Warm-up 4 miles, then 4 miles steady (25:18), then cool-down 1 mile. Felt pretty good. Splits: 7:44, 7:04, 6:46, 6:34, 6:25, 6:22, 6:17, 6:14, 6:33.
- Both the Carleton College men’s and women’s teams enjoyed strong starts to the campaign, going a combined 5-0 so far this season. Among those Knights that have gotten off to strong starts are Jordon O'Kelly and Danielle Vasiliev, who were ... more
Carleton Athletics: Men's Swimming and Diving: Stephen Grinich Claims Fourth Weekly Award This SeasonCarleton College swimmer Stephen Grinich has starred throughout his senior season, and after a great performance at the Minnesota Challenge he appears to be saving his best for last. Grinich posted three top-10 individual finishes and led a Knights relay ... more
- Treadmill. 65 minutes. 10 miles.
Warm-up 5 miles, then 3 x 1 mile w/ 60 sec jog rest in 5:52, 5:47, 5:43, then cool-down. Overall felt pretty good. Ran the rest intervals at 6:39 pace.
- Congrats to Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos -- the first professional sports team that I was able to call my own after moving from Anchorage to Denver in 1983! Apropos of protecting the 1002 and Alaska's Coastal Plain, ... more
- When a political system has as little transparency as China's, simple things like titles become clues to what's going on behind the scenes. Here's one interpretation.
In spite of the appearances of centralized authoritarianism, it's good to remember a 13th ... more
- If I were going to teach writing, I wouldstart off by saying it doesn't matter whereyou start, because everything is connected,not just in imagination, but in reality itself.You could start with: "Why do I bite ... more
- Town Loop. 30 minutes. 4 miles.
Cold and windy. Slow and easy shakeout run.
- Peter Bakker-Arkema drained a game-tying three-pointer with 15 seconds remaining in regulation, and the Carleton College men’s basketball team knocked down key shots in overtime to solidify a 81-75 victory over visiting Hamline University. The result snapped the Knights’ season-worst ... more
- I am not a poet...a language poet...a romantic poet...an educated poet...a trained poet...a classic poet...a decadent poet....a beat poet...a Black Mountain poet...a surrealist poet...a dada poet...a free verse ... more
- Town Loop. 61 minutes. 8 miles.
Cold (18 degrees), snowy, and windy! Extra slow and easy run. Felt OK.
- Irish + Wilcox + Henik Loop. 72 minutes. 10 miles.
Chilly (35 degrees) and windy. Relaxed and easy run. Felt pretty good. [Week: 70 miles]
- Treadmill. 64 minutes. 9 miles.
Started at 5:45 AM. Felt a little sluggish. Easy run.