- This is one of those poemswhere the title is the punchline,which is the goal of all my poems.Many poems, for me, are justfilling in the lines…of course,having a boffo ending line is good.That ... more
- Is what I feel sometimes I am…hiding in the reeds somewherewhere the gurgle I sometimesrecognize as my voice is sendingsomekind of message out wherethere are people. It really has anancient feel….earth and water ... more
- Evanston. 47 minutes. 6 miles.
Easy run. Hamstring sore at the end.
- Sheridan Rd. + NTHS Track. 73 minutes. >10 miles.
Chilly (32 degrees) and breezy. Warm-up 2.5 miles plus 4x100 strides. Then 10 x 300 w/ 100 jog (2:00 rest): avg. 55.32, rest avg. 1:58.76. Felt pretty good. Cool-down 5 miles.
- Mud + Irish + Wilcox + Henik + Hwy 1. 74 minutes. 10 miles.
Chilly (32 degrees) and cloudy. Slow and easy pace.
- I’m not one of these bleeding hearts that feelsprofessional football is too violent…in fact, quitethe opposite. I feel there should be real violencein the sport to reflect properly the violent nature ofour American society (Well, ... more
It’s Christmas! Holidaytimes! You know what that means, THE HILLS ARE ALIVE WITH THE SOUND OF MUSIC, holiday music, the music of Christmas and other beloved holidays, beloved standards and creeping obscurities! This week, I have taken it upon ... more
- "A writer needs three things: experience, observation, and imagination, any two of which, at times any one of which, can supply the lack of the others." -- William Faulkner
A writer on my Facebook feed asked a question of ... more
- No wonder I’m drunk…I couldn’t remember when it was….so, I had to be drunk all year longso I wouldn’t miss it.My moher would have gottten that joke.At least, that’s what I’m making upin ... more
- "The most valuable of all talents is that of never using two words when one will do." -- Thomas Jefferson"The luck of having talent is not enough; one must also have a talent for luck." -- Hector Berlioz ... more
- Although it's been very quiet around Mixed Meters lately this blog does have some traditions worth preserving. One of these is my annual encounter with Jingle Bells.
J.B. is a simple tune, useful as a musical starting point because everyone ... more
Doing Research Off-Campus?
- I saw a sign when I
was driving over a bridge
"Slippery When Slippery".
I had to pull over for a while and get out of the car.
Suddenly, a white GTO screeches to a stop...a red neck ... more