- Town + Country Lisbon. 70 minutes. 10 miles.
Very warm and humid! Felt pretty good except for the heat.
- Iran's supreme leader might be talking like an isolationist Islamist, but businesses seem to be headed in another direction.
Peugeot-Citroen back on the road in Iran with deal to build cars
The French carmaker Peugeot-Citroen (PSA) has announced its return ... more
- One of my correspondents, from the green campuses along the Thames in Oxford, sent me the following:
This has been an awful 3 days for those of who believe in anything beyond Nationalism.Referendums in the UK are ... more
- A stone door openson the side of a mountain.A mother shoots her twoteenage daughters and iskilled by police.A comedian with swastikapaintballs for Trump.Hillary denies ever havingbeen human.George Will quits the ... more
And sometimes even music
Cannot substitute for tears
-Paul Simon, “Cool, Cool River” (1990)
At the moment, the only sense I have of the Cavaliers championship celebration was the second of jubilation I saw just before I grabbed the remote control with sweaty palms, with my stomach beginning a three-day plummet into the ... more
- "In the spring, the chrysanthemum'sastringent fragrance comes, revealingthe hidden mechanism ofmachine within machine within machine."(Wallace Stevens)Filigree of words and expressionsat the cafe in full blossom sophistication,light hearted, heart lit with joy that ... more
- As eecummmings wrote:"i am a shape thatcan but eat and turd."What goes (in) upmust come down.And we seem to grow,advanceget better, smarter,do more,for better or worse,but, inevitably,the gravity ... more
- Town + Country Lisbon . 71 minutes. 10 miles.
Warm and nice. Still a little bit sluggish but feeling better.
… for it is those who cherish their own wounds who are likeliest to inflict new ones on others.
-Samuel Moyn, “You Must Remember This,” New Republic , June 2016
- Recent Carleton College graduate Ruth Steinke ’16 has been tabbed as the school’s nominee for the NCAA Woman of the Year. This award honors graduating female college athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and distinguished themselves throughout their collegiate careers ... more