- The BBC offers final notes on Nigeria before the election.
Nigeria elections: Nation split in Jonathan-Buhari contest
In Nigerian elections, the incumbent always wins. But so far this campaign has been different from all others and this Saturday's poll is ... more
- Town Loop. 60 minutes. 8 miles.
Chilly (31 degrees) and breezy. Felt sluggish again. Slow and easy run plus 6x100 strides.
- Mt. Vernon Rd. 28 minutes. 4 miles.
Easy run. Out 14:13, back in 14:11. Felt much better.
- A Wikipedia article says that "Red tape is an idiom that refers to excessive regulation or rigid conformity to formal rules that is considered redundant or bureaucratic and hinders or prevents action or decision-making. It is usually applied to governments, ... more
- Well, the rest of the universe ishaving a great giggle watchinghumans grope for the obviousconclusion that it’s teeming withlife. And after they realized thatthe ape man had invented theApe Bomb, they got more ... more
- The Carleton College softball team concluded its spring break trip with a pair of frustrating defeats. Missed opportunities haunted the Knights in a 4-3 walkoff loss to Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) to begin the day. Carleton then managed only ... more
- Quite possibly because the Knights are off to the best start in program history, the Carleton College men’s tennis team got to play under the lights on Wednesday and prevailed, 7-2, in a primetime matchup against Elmhurst College. This was ... more
- Carleton College catcher Hayden Tsutsui now owns the program's highest recorded career hit total, but his 3-for-4 day was not enough to spark the Knights to victory as the squad dropped its spring trip finale against Oberlin College by a ... more
- The No. 31-ranked Carleton College women’s tennis team saw its first competition in 18 days but showed little sign of rust as the Knights handed host University of Puerto Rico-San Piedras, a Division II program, a 9-0 defeat. The Knights ... more
- Geoffrey York, writing in The Globe and Mail offers another good picture of how things work (don't work?) in Nigeria.
Industrialization, in the standard version of economic development, is an important step. From the industrial revolution on, that step has ... more
- Town + Country Lisbon. 60 minutes. 8 miles.
Chilly (34 degrees), wet, and breezy. Felt sluggish. Slow and easy run.
- The Carleton College baseball took out its frustrations after three straight narrow defeats by pounding out 16 hits, including 10 of the extra-base variety, in a 16-7 triumph over Oberlin College. The Knights clubbed three home runs in a contest ... more
- The Carleton College softball team had plenty of scoring chances on Tuesday but could not find enough clutch hits as the Knights stranded a total of 20 baserunners on the day—including leaving the bases loaded three times—in absorbing a 5-2 ... more
Carleton Athletics: Men's Tennis: Knights Sweep Tripleheader; Off to Team’s Best Start in Recent HistoryThe Carleton College men’s tennis carried an 11-match win streak into Tuesday’s tripleheader, and the Knights remained undefeated after posting identical 9-0 victories over North Central (Ill.) College, University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and Buena Vista University. Every member of the squad ... more
- Anymore I’m awake, in thehaving a body sense, asinfrequently as possible…I get up, go out, have coffee,gather necessary concomitants,go home, and get ready for bedthe rest of the day…part of thisentails a ... more