- Carleton junior Emily Kaegi claimed her second MIAC Athlete-of-the-Week award of the young season for her performance in a loaded field at Saturday's St. Olaf College Invitational, where she was the third Division III runner to cross the finish line ... more
- The idea of transparency is being tossed around in the American presidential campaign, but the concept is important in comparative politics, too. Transparency contributes to legitimacy, honesty, and rule of law.
The Economist's reporting on the resignation of Mexico's finance ... more
- Town + Big Dipper Loop. 71 minutes. 10 miles.
Warm and very humid! Easy running with fast segments of 0.88 miles, 0.64 miles, and 0.34 miles. Felt pretty good.
- Athletics Fields. 23 minutes. >3 miles.
Easy shakeout run.
- Gillette Loop. 59 minutes. 8 miles.
Warm and sunny. Slow and easy run.
- ...because so nonexistenttherefore,the joke nothing played on youin spite ofbanana peel,pissing on yourself,love affair,career,everything youhold deartrapped in headlightmemory of that one timeyou didn't pay attention...no, no, ... more
- When elections are symbolic events meant to look like democratic procedures, why (and how) could voter fraud take place? (Hint: remember guanxi ?)
An Unlikely Crime in One-Party China: Election Fraud
China’s legislature has expelled 45 of its members in ... more
- Ok, I'll admit it... I've been strategically ignoring the early adopters -- those few trees that are turning colors earlier than their peers. But it turns out I can't stop the forward momentum of the seasons by simply ignoring ... more
- Lisbon + Adams. 73 minutes. 10 miles.
Mild and nice! Slow and easy run plus 8x100 strides.
- Springville Road. 60 minutes. 8 miles.
Extra slow and easy run. [Week: 74 miles]
- Sac & Fox Trail. 84 minutes. 12 miles.
Mild and nice! Started slowly but finished quickly. Felt decent.
- I recall introducing the study of Russia with a comment that went something like this: "Before the revolution there was an absolute ruler who governed a country that preserved authentic civilization and absolute truth. After the revolution, Russia was governed ... more
Carleton Athletics: Women's Golf: Akiyama narrowly misses second straight win, Knights third at D3 ClassicAlyssa Akiyama narrowly missed her second straight individual win, finishing one shot back in a tie for third place, but Carleton slipped to third at the D3 Classic.
- The Carleton College men’s golf team enjoyed some gorgeous mid-September weather and finished 13th at the Saint John’s Fall Invitational. The Knights were helmed by a solid two-day performance from junior Perry Strong, who finished in a tie for 23rd ... more