- Meaning, essentially, when you’re born.Infinite genes perform their esotericfunctions so you are you…stupid yousmart you. The processes involvedhave no opinion.
- Twitter me and I quiver…Clitter me and I flutter….Brand me with a spoon.
- The way things are going, soon humandevelopment will be handled in the labas in Huxley’s novel. It will be understoodthat judging humans on superficialattributes such as the color of their skin issuperstion and unproductive. ... more
- We woke up this last day of spring break (AKA winter break part II) to a thin layer of snow, and I wonder... could it possibly be the season's last? The day is supposed to stay at or below freezing ... more
- Treadmill. 64 minutes. 10 miles.
Warm-up 2 miles, cool-down 1 mile. Progression run 7 miles with mile splits: 6:39, 6:29, 6:18, 6:09, 5:59, 5:50, 5:40 (43:09, avg. 6:10 pace). Felt good and smooth the whole way.
- A judicial appointment is often controversial. But whether it signifies major political problems is part of another set of questions.
Close ally to Pena Nieto sworn in on Mexico supreme court
A former prosecutor and ambassador who has been questioned ... more
- Willow Creek. 30 minutes. 4 miles.
Easy shakeout run.
- Fresh off earning its first regional ranking of the season, the No. 12 Carleton College men’s tennis team celebrated with a 6-1 victory over No. 15 University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire. The win was the Knights’ 16th straight to open the ... more
- It's hard to write a blog post like this one when you expect that no one will read it.
Mixed Meters posts announcing new long versions in my series called The Seasons get the lowest hit counts. Writing an ... more
- About five of us students askedthat question to our teacher,Chogyam Trungpa in an intimatesetting. He said “I’ll show you.”“Now, pay close attention.” Hepicked up a wooden kitchen match,and said “Now I’m going ... more
- The BBC offers final notes on Nigeria before the election.
Nigeria elections: Nation split in Jonathan-Buhari contest
In Nigerian elections, the incumbent always wins. But so far this campaign has been different from all others and this Saturday's poll is ... more
- Town Loop. 60 minutes. 8 miles.
Chilly (31 degrees) and breezy. Felt sluggish again. Slow and easy run plus 6x100 strides.
- Mt. Vernon Rd. 28 minutes. 4 miles.
Easy run. Out 14:13, back in 14:11. Felt much better.
- A Wikipedia article says that "Red tape is an idiom that refers to excessive regulation or rigid conformity to formal rules that is considered redundant or bureaucratic and hinders or prevents action or decision-making. It is usually applied to governments, ... more
- Well, the rest of the universe ishaving a great giggle watchinghumans grope for the obviousconclusion that it’s teeming withlife. And after they realized thatthe ape man had invented theApe Bomb, they got more ... more
- The Carleton College softball team concluded its spring break trip with a pair of frustrating defeats. Missed opportunities haunted the Knights in a 4-3 walkoff loss to Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) to begin the day. Carleton then managed only ... more