- Tonight is the Harvest Moon -- the full moon closest to the fall equinox next week. These full moons are often big and orange and lovely as they rise... yesterday's full-minus-one moon was lovely rising large to the east just ... more
- Political opposition in Russia is nearly invisible. Don't expect any changes after this weekend's (18 September) elections.
Russia’s Opposition, While Repressed, May Be Its Own Worst Enemy
With parliamentary elections in Russia just days away, a hot competition is unfolding ... more
- These protests come as no surprise.
Mexican Protesters Demand Ouster of President Enrique Peña Nieto
As President Enrique Peña Nieto prepared for the beginning of Mexico’s Independence Day celebrations, protesters took to the streets of capital on Thursday to demand ... more
- How can I write an ode to you?
It would sound like I was talking
scratching my balls,
opening a pack of Luckies.
popping the cap on a Tall Boy,
boy, and taking that first long pull
- Adams Loop . 68 minutes. 10 miles.
Mild (68 degrees), wet, and humid. Fartlek workout, pushing all of the uphill sections. Felt a little tired and sluggish.
- Standing Rock. 29 minutes. 4 miles.
Relaxed and easy run.
- When the Chinese government measures its own performance, what should we expect? How much credit should we give to the report? Are there any independent sources to confirm or contradict the government's findings?
White paper hails China's progress in judicial ... more
- A second International Dot Day post card!
- Nigeria won a bronze medal in football at the Rio Olympics. Success at the Paralympic Games has been greater.
Nigeria's Nollywood winner and other Paralympic surprises
Weightlifter Lucy Ejike broke a world record on Sunday to win gold with a ... more
- This cute fellow is a baby cedar waxwing -- or a teenager one -- that has fledged the nest, but can't do a whole lot yet. So we were able to get right up close to him or her... ... more
- Novak Road + Town. 59 minutes. 8 miles.
Slow and easy run plus 6x100 strides.
- Mt. Vernon Road. 28 minutes. 4 miles.
Warm, sunny. Out in 15 minutes, back in 13 minutes. Felt OK.
- Town + Lisbon. 59 minutes. 8 miles.
Slow and easy run.
- If I were Donald Trump, I would take,
in part, the positions herein stated, as if
I were giving an opening statement in a
debate with Hilary Clinton:
I want to be your president. The question is:why?I ... more
- After winning their previous three consecutive matches, the Carleton College volleyball team battled but came up short in their conference opener against Hamline University, dropping an evenly played four-set match (25-22, 23-25, 26-24, 25-20) at Hutton Arena Wednesday evening.