Please see the Housing Calendar for hall and house opening and closing dates and times.
- To conserve energy, we are asking you to adjust your thermostats (please see Hall staff for specifics). If you have a thermostat, please turn it down to 60 degrees. If you have a control knob, turn it to low or “2.”
- For safety and efficiency, make sure nothing is left on top or in front of your radiators.
- Close and lock inside and storm windows in your room. Close draperies to help retain heat.
- For safety purposes and to conserve energy, please unplug all electrical equipment and appliances with the exception of fish tanks, computers and answering machines.
- Empty your wastebaskets and recycling containers.
Personal--Empty, clean and defrost, unplug and leave door propped open. Dry foods should be removed (thrown away or taken home) so as not to attract mice and insects.
Floor Lounges—Remove all items but do not unplus. Custodial Services will clean and defrost, disposing of any food left in them).
Houses--Remove all items (except condiments and items in the freezers). Custodial Services staff will clean refrigerators.
- Inspections of Private Bathrooms and Kitchens will occur over the break. To avoid cleaning charges,
please make certain these areas are cleaned and all personal items are removed prior to departure.
- Common Areas (lounges, kitchens) -- Floor or house members will be charged for missing or damaged furnishings or extra cleaning.
- Notify your RA or House Manager of your departure time. Residential staff need to know which rooms are
should be secured for the break. Note the date and time you plan to leave on the “Estimated Time of
Departure” form posted on your RA’s or House Manager’s door.
- Although the College secures all buildings during the break, there have been a few thefts in the past. The
College does not carry property insurance for students, faculty, or staff. If you have valuable items in your room, please take them home or be certain you have insurance. (Insurance information is available in Residential Life.)
- Lock your door when you leave and turn off all lights. Be certain that you take your key so that you get into your room when you return.
- THE HALLS ARE SECURED AND THERE ARE NOT STAFF TO TAKE ANYONE INTO THE HALLS/HOUSES
DURING THE BREAK. Please make certain to take EVERYTHING you will need (passports, airline tickets,
medication, etc.) during the break with you.