The American Civil Liberties Union
The mission of the Carleton ACLU is to bring together students who realize the importance of protecting our freedom for the future. Along with providing opportunities to work with the ACLU on a state and national level, the Carleton ACLU strives to foster a socially conscious environment right here in Northfield.
5/13/08: Carleton ACLU minutes for 5/13/2008
|1)||Next week (Tuesday upper Sayles at 8:30) Jana Kooren from the Minnesota ACLU is coming down to Carleton to talk to us about planning. Be there and be sure to bring anyone who you think might be interested.|
|2)||Elections are slated for the May 27|
Rebecca Canary-King spoke to us about Cardboard Box City which will be held at the bald spot Friday, May 16, 2008 at 4:00pm to Saturday, May 17, 2008 at 8:00am. Participation is encouraged. If you are interested in helping with the phone bank or tabling in sayles, contact: Rebecca Canary-King email@example.com
|3)||We discussed ACLU participation in repealing Minneapolis’s Lurking Ordinance. Learn more and sign the online petition here:|
5/5/08: ACLU Documentary Film Night! Come watch "The Ghosts of Abu Ghraib" with the Carleton American Civil Liberties Union! Eat free Basil's pizza, and ask questions! Everyone is welcome, Thursday, May 8th, in Olin 141 at 7:00 p.m.
3/31/08: Spring Meeting Tuesday, April 1st! 8:30 p.m. in Sayles 251! Be there!
3/05/08: Minutes of planning meeting available online! For those of you who couldn't make it, here is what we discussed at our planning meeting. Email me with any questions!
ACLU Meeting Minutes 3/4/2008
President: Will Taylor
Vice President: Matt Wprin
Treasurer: Lukas Fried
Secretary: Marlene Edelstein
Call to Order: 8:35
-Mechanisms that we have already put in place for fundraising:
1) Membership- $5 voluntary membership, we get back half
2) Fundraising tee shirts, which we can get for $5 and sell
- 2 options, “Close Guantanamo” and “Bill of Rights”
- Aim for early next term to reserve tabling and
3) If we put together a request letter, we can request from $20-250 for a start-up grant.
4) Crepe Maker
5) Request More Promotional buttons etc.
6) Throw a party?
7) Request funding from CSA- Sam Friedman will look into it.
-Because we are new, we need to put our name out there. –promotion needs to be an important emphasis with our first event.
- Promotion team: Sam Handler and Marlene Edelstein
- Tuesday 8:30 – the best time for all
- We will start with weekly meetings and reassess our needs at a later time
-Sayles 251 will be our location
- Elections: in constitution that we hold elections in the spring of every term- May- Set a specific date later on
- Several trips proposed by Janna and MN ACLU
1) March 13th State Legislature- Not going to happen
2) Trip to DC for that ACLU National membership conference- June? Attend the conference, meetings with lobbyist and congressmen- There will be more information at the next meeting
3) Labor Day- Volunteers to do observation at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul. –Volunteer to observe conflicts and observe if there are any right violations- More information will be available at the next meeting.
-1st event sets the tone- important introduction to the ACLU
-Ideas that were mentioned:
1) Full length movie: “Ghost of Abu Ghraib”
2) Organize speakers to come give talks
- Guantanamo defense attorney
- ACLU or other lawyers from MN
4) Teacher debates
-Get professors to debate two sides of an issue
5) Combined ACLU conference with affiliates in the area
- Event goals for next term:
1) To organize the movie event for the beginning of spring term
2) To start the process of inviting Guantanamo defense attorneys
3) Start to organize the teacher debates
At our Next Meeting on 4/1
-Create a plan of action for the movie event
- Discuss information provided about the student conference, Guantanamo lawyers, Republican National Convention
- Start organizing the tee-shirt sails
- The start-up request to the ACLU for money- aim for $150
Meeting ended at 9:15
2/26/08: ACLU Planning Meeting for Spring Term! Join us in Sayles 251 for a planning-oriented meeting, in which we will discuss our plans for spring term of '08! Be a part of vigorous defense of civil liberties!
2/19/08: Join the ACLU for our first foray into the Carleton Community at 8:30 in Sayles-Hill 251 on Tuesday, 2/26! Come kick off what promises to be a long and healthy relationship between the Carleton community and the American Civil Liberties Union with an informational meeting. Eat free Basil's pizza, watch a short film, and ask questions! Everyone is welcome, and the more the merrier.
2/11/08: Come visit our information table in Sayles on Monday, 2/18! Learn everything you ever wanted to know about our organization as we kick off what promises to be a wonderful relationship with the Carleton community!