The Cave is the oldest student-run pub in the United States and a favorite gathering place for students at Carleton College, and is one of a limited number of music venues in Northfield, Minnesota. Founded in 1927, it is housed on the lowest level of the Margaret Evans Dormitory.
Open every night, regular events include coffee nights and live music each weekend. The Cave has hosted many local and internationally recognized (and loved) artists, and is also a venue for student bands and dj's.
The cave is FREE and ALL AGES.
Directions from I-35 via Highway 19 to Northfield and Carleton Campus
- Take I-35W to Highway 19 East (Exit 69, Northfield exit).
- Drive east on Highway 19 for 7 miles to Northfield.
- At the first stop light (where Highway 19 meets Highway 3), turn left and drive north for 3 blocks to 2nd Street.
- Turn right and drive east on 2nd Street, continuing up the hill.
- Turn left on Maple Street, and drive up to First Street.
- Drive through the parking lot on the corner of Maple and First, and then take a right down the road that slopes down the hill.
- The entrance to the Cave will be in the basement of Evans Hall on the right.
Still can't figure it out? Find us on the Campus map.