Publishing Student Org Web Pages
Technical support for student organizations is provided by Mark Heiman (mheiman) in the Web Services Group.
Student orgs have two options for creating web sites using Carleton resources:
- You may publish HTML files through a student org folder on Collab. This method requires knowledge of web publishing tools and techniques. Server-side scripting tools are not available through Collab.
- You may manage your web site using Reason, the web content management system that runs Carleton's official web site. Reason gives you access to:
- non-technical tools for managing the content and resources (images, etc) that make up your site.
- Access to images and other resources from other Carleton web sites
- Control of your site design through Cascading Style Sheets.
- Built-in tools you can plug in to your site:
- Calendar (with feeds to the central campus calendar)
- Event registration
- Photo Galleries/Slideshows
- Publishing tools for blogs, newsletters, or other publications
- Audio/video collections
- Interactive forms
- RSS feeds
- just about anything else you've seen on Carleton's site...
To request a Collab web folder (if you don't already have an org folder on Collab containing a WebPub folder) just email your request to mheiman. Access to your folder is managed through your Organization Profile (contact an officer of your group or the CSA VP if you don't have access to your profile.)
Reason site setup is just slightly more complicated, and we like to do a quick orientation so that you know how everything works and have the right starting configuration for your needs. Contact mheiman via email, and then schedule a half-hour appointment during business hours through Zimbra (from the Zimbra calendar, choose New->New Appointment, and on the Schedule tab enter mheiman under All Attendees. Find an open time and save the appointment to complete your request.)
Access to your Reason site is managed through your Organization Profile (contact an officer of your group or the CSA VP if you don't have access to your profile.)