WE WILL CONTINUE TO ACCEPT APPLICATIONS THROUGH
10:00 A.M. (CENTRAL TIME) ON FRIDAY, JUNE 7
Students who are currently in 10th and 11th grade (rising junior and senior while CSSI is in session) are eligible to apply. Students who would like to participate in the Carleton Summer Science Institute must apply for admission; completed applications are submitted to the CSSI Admissions Committee for review. Please be aware that students are admitted to CSSI on a rolling basis beginning April 1, 2013; space may be limited at the application deadline.
All Complete CSSI Applications Include:
- A complete CSSI Application Form.
- A copy of your most recent high school transcripts. Transcripts can be submitted electronically by attaching a PDF copy to your online application or you can mail a copy to the Summer Academic Programs Office. Please do not submit printouts or screenshots from online grade viewers. Additionally:
- Transcripts may be official or unofficial.
- Transcripts must include grades and course titles.
Applicants who have taken the PSAT, SAT, SAT Subject Tests, PLAN, and/or ACT exams are encouraged (though not required) to include their results with their application.
Due to student visa requirements, we are unable to admit international students without a United States passport.
The comprehensive $3,350 Summer Science Institute fee includes:
- Books and materials used in class and lab.
- Six Carleton credit hours (approximately equivalent to 3 semester credit hours)
- Room and board (includes all meals)
- Activities and excursions
A $500 deposit is due with each general admission application. The remaining balance of $2,850 is due on or before the start of the program. If you are not offered admission into CSSI, the $500 tuition deposit will be returned to you. For accepted students, $250 of the tuition deposit is non-refundable. Please see the cancellation policy for further details.
A limited number of scholarships are available for the Carleton Summer Science Institute. For more information, please see the Scholarships page.
Summer Science Institute Cancellation Policy
All cancellations must be made in writing and be received by the Summer Academic Programs Office on or before May 23, 2013.
Students whose written withdrawal is received is received by the Summer Academic Programs Office on or before May 23, 2013 will be entitled to a refund of any fees paid over and above the $250 nonrefundable tuition deposit.
Students whose written withdrawal is received between May 24 and June 3, 2013 will be charged $500. Students whose written withdrawal is received between June 4 and June 24, 2013 will be charged $1,850. Any student whose written withdrawal is received on or after June 25, 2013 will be responsible for the full cost of tuition.
Any participant who is dismissed for any reason or who voluntarily withdraws from the Summer Science Institute will be held responsible for their full tuition and forfeit all voluntary fees paid.