Student & Faculty Support
Carleton College is deeply committed to the success of our students and faculty. We champion that success with a broad range of academic, teaching, and research support services. The following is a list of resources and expertise available.
"Every member of our community should have the opportunity to take full advantage of all that Carleton has to offer—to drink deeply at the cup of academic, intellectual, social engagement and growth."
President Steven Poskanzer
Academic Support for Students
Resources abound to help Carleton students find support and hone their skills:
- Carls Ask Questions! is a network of resources to connect students with the right experts and resources as they work on assignments.
- Academic Skills Coaches offer time management, study, and test-preparation skills coaching.
- Academic Tutors provide one-on-one academic assistance.
- Advising Handbook provides a wealth of information to help guide students with their academic advising questions.
- Gould Library offers a wealth of research and reference help, as well as group study areas and customized research assistance for individual classes.
- The IdeaLab is staffed with experts in working with media, presentations, fine art printing, video production and presentations.
- Information Technology Services offers help with software selection and use, and supports classroom technologies.
- The Language Center provides help and resources for learning languages.
- The Math Skills Center assists students having difficulty with math courses or concepts.
- Perlman Teaching Museum makes its collection available for student researchers.
- Speech Coaches help students improve their speaking and presentation skills.
- Second Language Writing Support is available to students who are non-native speakers of English.
- The Writing Center advises students on any academic writing project at any stage, from brainstorming to polishing a final draft.
For some qualifying students, additional support and mentorship is also available from:
Teaching & Research Support for Faculty
Carleton College supports our faculty and their development at every stage of their careers—in their teaching, research, and other scholarly pursuits.
- The Dean of the College Office oversees the academic programs of the College and supports the work of the faculty.
- Perlman Center for Learning & Teaching coordinates programs and services for faculty at all stages of their careers.
- Academic Initiatives focus extra resources on innovative areas of scholarship and pedagogy.
- Gould Library librarians and other staff work closely with faculty to provide research support for their classes and assignments, and partner with them to build library collections that support the curriculum.
- Center for Civic & Community Engagement (CCCE) helps faculty integrate civic and community engagement into courses and research, as well as supporting their public scholarship.
- Corporate and Foundation Relations helps faculty identify and apply for external sources of funding to support their academic activities.
- Information Technology Services supports the academic technology needs of faculty for their courses and research.
- The IdeaLab provides integrated curricular support and training with a special emphasis on technology tools, media, visual representations and audio.
- Perlman Teaching Museum works with faculty who wish to use works of art in their teaching or research.
- Science Education Resource Center (SERC) supports Carleton faculty and educators worldwide.