Skip Navigation

Ask Us Anything

If your question needs an immediate response, or is in regards to the status of your file, please email

Otherwise, first browse the links below for answers to some frequently asked questions. 

What's the application process for transfer students? What do I need to submit?

All Topics

  • Johnson House
    The Admissions Office:

    Carleton accepts a number of transfer students for each fall term (we do not do rolling admissions). Transfer applications can be done through the Common Application and they differ only slightly from those of prospective freshman. These differences are:

    • Your personal essay should provide some insight into why you are looking to transfer and why Carleton is a good match for you.
    • Your recommendations should be recent. If you have only completed 1 semester of college, it is reasonable to include two high school recommenders. If, however, you have completed more than one year, we advise that at least one recommendation be from a recent professor.
    • You should include both high school and college transcripts.

    Students wishing to apply for the fall term should submit applications prior to March 31, and will be notified of the Admissions Committee's decision before May 15. All transfer applicants are expected to submit results from the College Board's SAT I or the American College Test. To qualify for the Carleton degree, students must spend at least two years in residence including the senior year.