Skip Navigation

Ask Us Anything

If your question needs an immediate response, or is in regards to the status of your file, please email

Otherwise, first browse the links below for answers to some frequently asked questions. 

Recently Answered Questions about International Students

All Topics

  • Q: I live outside the U.S. Can I send admission documents by fax or email?
    A: Yes, you may fax them to 507-222-4526 or email… (1 answer)
  • Q: As an international student, am I eligible for Financial Aid?
    A: International students are not eligible for federal aid.… (1 answer)
  • Q: My documents are not in English. Do I need to translate my documents before sending them?
    A: Yes, we need certified translations of your documents.… (1 answer)
  • Q: The SAT tests are not available in my country, what should I do?
    A: We will waive this requirement for students in this situation.… (1 answer)
  • Q: I cannot submit a "guidance counselor" recommendation because my school does not have a position like that. What should I do?
    A: A recommendation from a school official or principal is… (1 answer)
  • Q: I am an international student, and I am not sure if I should apply as a transfer or freshman applicant. Can you help me?
    A: Yes, please provide more details and we’ll be glad to help.… (1 answer)
  • Q: Is an interview required for international applicants?
    A: No, interviews are not required in any way for admission.… (1 answer)
  • Q: How could I contact current international students at Carleton?
    A: Our international student web site contains a link which will… (1 answer)
  • Q: Can you give me an idea of preferred scores for TOEFL and IELTS exams?
    A: We have found that students with scores in these ranges are… (1 answer)
  • Q: Can international students defer their entry to Carleton for a year?
    A: Yes, but this needs to be requested in writing from our Dean of… (1 answer)
  • Q: As an international student, will I have a better chance of being admitted if I offer to pay for my first year and apply for financial aid after I have been admitted?
    A: We ask students to provide a budget for all four years of… (1 answer)
  • Q: I'm from another country. Can I work to help pay for my education? Do I need a social security number?
    A: Yes, if you receive financial assistance from Carleton College… (1 answer)
  • Q: The school system in my country doesn't calculate GPA. What should I do?
    A: We know that GPA (grade point average) is not used in many… (1 answer)