Skip Navigation

Undocumented Students

Each year we consider applications from students living in the United States without documentation of U.S. citizenship or legal permanent residency.  Because of our limited financial resources, we must consider these undocumented students among all international applicants applying for aid.  Undocumented students are eligible for Carleton-based grants and loans.  Students with DACA status are considered among all other legal permanent residents and U.S. citizens.  

Applying for Admission

Undocumented students should follow the same admissions application procedures as U.S. citizens and permanent residents who attend high school in the U.S. 

Applying for Financial Aid

Undocumented students who need financial assistance must complete just one form:

College Scholarship Service (CSS) Financial Aid PROFILE 

Awards would come in the form of grants, scholarships, student loan, and a campus employment opportunity.  Financial aid is applied to academic-year expenses and generally is not available for travel or summer expenses. Scholarship amounts vary and are based on the need of the individual student. It is important to note that if we cannot meet your demonstrated financial need, we will not offer you admission.

Please note, it is the College’s policy to include student employment as part of its need-based financial aid packages. With the passage of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, every employer in the United States must now check the legal status of all employees (including student employees) hired after November 6, 1986, or face the threat of criminal penalties. For this reason, before a student can be employed by Carleton College and begin working, he or she must complete the I-9 Form and provide the documents that prove identity and eligibility to work in this country. Any student who is not legally permitted to work in the United States will have to decline any student employment offered as part of their need-based financial aid.

Special Note: Undocumented students are not eligible for Federal financial aid and should not complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).