Giving Opportunities

There are many ways to give money to Carleton, and an outline of them can be found here.

There are two LGBT-specific funds available:

  • Officially titled the "Endowed Fund for Academic Programs in LGBT Studies," the APLS fund was established in 2004 by Dr. Thomas Polgreen '76 and his partner Melvin Rushton. Programs are administered through the Women's and Gender Studies Program, and the dollars produced by the fund are used for things such as: bringing pre- or post-doctoral fellows to campus for a term to offer student courses and lead workshops for faculty, allowing current faculty to research issues and develop courses in the highly interdisciplinary field of LGBT Studies, and bringing distinguished lecturers to campus for programs of durations shorter than a full term.
  • The Endowment Fund on Issues of Human Sexuality (commonly known as the Human Sexuality Endowment Fund) was established in 1993 through a generous gift from Ruth Harkison Waterbury '57 and David Waterbury, who wished to improve the campus climate for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) students. It is used to support a wide range of programs for Carleton’s LGBT community and its straight allies and helps all Carleton students to explore issues surrounding sexual orientation, affectional preference, and gender identity. This goal is achieved through funding for guest speakers, travel to conferences and events, the purchase of library books, social events, campus-wide awareness campaigns, and support groups. The fund also supports the arts on campus. For the past four years, the fund has supported the LGBT retreat, which provides a space for LGBT and allied students to go off-campus, build community, and share their experiences. The Human Sexuality Endowment Fund is administered through the Gender and Sexuality Center.

Please note that restricted gifts including those to the endowment are separate from the Alumni Annual Fund and do not "count" for Annual Fund credit.

If you would like your gift to Carleton to be earmarked for LGBTQ students and services, you may specify such provisions when you donate. To direct your gift to the HSEF or APLS funds, make a note in the comments field if giving online or on your check (or accompanying note) if giving by mail. Different methods for contribution are listed here. If you are unsure, please call the Gift Accounting Office at 800-758-9441.

You can make your Annual Fund or another gift to Carleton as a tribute gift in honor of a living or in memory of a deceased person, such as a friend, partner, professor, fellow alumnus/a, parent, child, sibling, or other relative. Tribute gifts are often made to commemorate significant accomplishments, transitions, anniversaries, or events, and are acknowledged in the Tribute Gifts section of Elements, Carleton's Annual Report on Giving. Tribute gifts can also provide donors with Annual Fund or other gift credit, depending on the type of gift, in the fiscal year made.