Skip Navigation

Timeline: 1916-1940

Date Event
1916 Carleton celebrates its semicentennial anniversary.
1916 Dedication of Skinner memorial Chapel
1916 Development of Lyman Lakes begins.
1917 As America goes to war, Carleton agrees to host for the duration a unit of the Student Army Training Corps, which permits students to finish college while receiving military training.
1917 Completion of a new dormitory for women. It will be named Nourse Hall in 1923.
1918-19 As WW1 ends, influenza epidemic claimed 20 million lives, 500,000 in the United States. Among its victims is popular Carleton professor of Biblical literature Fred B. Hill.
1919 Dancing is permitted on campus for the first time.
1919 College enrollment exceeds 500.
1919 Ambrose White Vernon establishes at Carleton the nation's first Department of Biography.
1919 Founding of the Institute of International Education, which assists in identifying and bringing foreign students to Carleton.
1920 Leighton Hall of Chemistry erected.
1922 Carleton-in-China program begins; most years until 1949 a junior "rep" is sent to the mission school in Fenchow to teach English for two years.
1922 Carleton becomes one of the first colleges to adopt an honors program.
1923 Creation of Allen Memorial Hospital, named for a Carleton student killed in WW1
1923 Student automobiles banned on campus.
1923 New men's dormitory completed. First called South Hall, it is named Davis Hall in 1926.
1924 Nutting Memorial Drive created to commemorate local trailblazing pioneers.
1927 Minnie M. Dilley '98 is first woman to serve on the board of trustees.
1927 Introduction of the proctor system - precursor to current resident assistants - to West Side (male) dormitory life.
1927 Prof. Harvey Stork pushes for development of a Carleton arboretum. Planting directed by Store and Superintendent of Grounds D. Blake Stewart begins in the spring.
1927 Completion of Laird Stadium.
1927 Completion of Margaret J. Evans Hall.
1928 Dedication of Severance Hall.
1928 Creation of the Faculty Club.
1928-1934 Carleton basketball teams undefeated in conference play.
1930 Carleton Trustee Frank B. Kellogg awarded the 1929 Nobel Peace Prize.
1930 Creation of the Carleton Student Association (CSA). F. Atherton Bean '31 is elected its first president. (A precursor student council, the Alma Mater Association, had been founded in 1920.)
1930 Bell Field named for Trustee Frederic S. Bell.
1932 Dedication of Nourse Little Theater.
1933 College purchases Schmidt House for use as a men's dormitory.
1933 Alumni Fund Association established.
1935 Carleton granted chapter of Sigma Xi.
1935 The Voice first appears. (Earlier alumni publications date from 1910, but none since Depression year 1932.)
1936 Majority of Carleton students no longer from Minnesota.
1937 Pres. Roosevelt's "court packing" scheme aimed at conservative judicial opponents of the New Deal - including Pierce Butler 1887, appointed to the Supreme Court in 1922.
1937 Frank B. Kellogg donated $500,000 to support the establishment of a Department of International Relations and to fund scholarships for foreign students to attend Carleton.
1937 "Carleton-in-China" school flees south as Japanese armies invade Shansi province.
1939 Schmidt House destroyed by fire.
1939 Construction of the Women's League Cabin.
1940 Creation of the Student Social Cooperative (co-op) to provide "a wider social program for a greater number of students at a lower cost."