Skip Navigation

Timeline: 1941-1966

Date Event
1941 A women's riding field acquired; named in 1942 for benefactors Samuel S. and Maude Lair Prentiss.
1942 Japanese-Americans evacuated from West Coast. Carleton agrees to accept interned Nisei students continuing their wartime educations.
1942 Carleton buys land near Stanton to build an airport to be used for military training.
1942-1945 War brings major disruptions in campus life. As male enrollment plummets, women occupy virtually all important student offices and, in 1944-45, the previously male West Side dorms. In 1943 and 1944 Carleton hosts several Army units, which receive instruction in engineering, aeronautics, meteorology, and modern languages. Altogether over 1,500 Carleton men and women serve in the armed forces during WWII; 55 men lose their lives.
1943 Male enrollment drops fro 455 to 93. Wally Ulrich '45 wins NCAA men's golf championship tournament.
1943 Dean Lodge, off-campus housing for women since 1919, burns in a fire.
1945 Popular Carleton Geology Prof. Laurence M. Gould, a University of Michigan alumnus and noted polar explorer, succeeds President Cowling, who retires after leading Carleton through two World Wars and a Depression. Gould had been a member of the faculty since 1932.
1946-1950 Influx of veterans pushes enrollment over 1,000.
1947-1955 Pine Hill Village, student housing for married veterans, located across Lyman Lakes.
April 1948 Student-run radio station KARL begins broadcasts. (Changed to KRLX in 1974/75.)
May 1948 The World premier of Bertolt Brecht's Caucasian Chalk Circle is performed in Nourse Theater by the Carleton Players, directed by Henry Goodman.
1948 Comprehensive exams are introduced for seniors.
1948 Students vote to abolish last of the literary societies.
1949 Carleton graduates its first black student.
1949 Dedication of Boliou Memorial Art Building.
1949 The Carleton-in-China program ends as communist China is closed to such endeavors. In 1951 a Carleton-in-Japan program is initiated, first at a school in Osaka, later at Kyoto's Doshisha University.
1950 "Knights" adopted as varsity sports team names.
1953 Dedication of the remodeled Willis Memorial Union. (It actually opened in 1954)
1954 The Carleton's Airfield is sold.
1956 Dedication of the new Library.
1957 Scoville Memorial Library is remodeled and rededicated as Scoville Hall.
1958 Musser and Myers halls are erected.
1958 Student enrollment permanently exceeds 1,000.
1958 Carole Pushing '61 win the NCAA women's golf crown.
1958 Carleton joins with nine other liberal arts institutions to form the Associate Colleges of the Midwest. Programs sponsored by ACM will greatly increase the range of off-campus programs, both foreign and domestic, available to students in future years.
1959/60 Founding of the literary quarterly The Carleton Miscellany.
1960 A student exchange program with historically all-black Spelman College in Atlanta begins.
1961 Dedication of Olin Hall of Science.
1961 Williams Hall is razed.
1962 Carleton's fifth president, John W. Nason '26, is selected after Laurence M. Gould announces his desire to return to classroom teaching in Arizona. Nason is the first Carleton alumnus to be named president. A former Carleton Rhodes Scholar, former president of Swarthmore College, and president of the Foreign Policy Association, Nason will see the College through the balance of the turbulent 60s.
1962 Johann Christoph Friedrich von Schiller makes a legendary appearance during the fourth quarter of a football game, dangling from a helicopter by a 50 foot chain.
1962 A new men's dorm is occupied in September. In 1963 it is named for Horace Goodhue, Jr.
1963 A group of students found the Reformed Druids of North America, initially as a protest against mandatory chapel. Carleton's religious requirement in abolished in 1964.
1964 Carleton's dairy herd is auctioned off.
1964 Carleton establishes the Asian studies program.
1964 Dedication of a new men's gymnasium, later known as West Gym
1965 A Carleton minority groups scholarship program is instituted.
1965 Carleton's Computer Date Night receives national publicity.
1965 Dedication of a women's gymnasium, the Elizabeth Cowling Recreation Center.
1966 The College hosts its first-annual summer ABC (A Better Chance) program, through which promising teens from underprivileged backgrounds prepare for entry into top high schools. Carleton students serve as resident tutors for this program, which continues into the 70s.