Skip Navigation

Varsity Athletics

Women's Soccer

Carleton Athletics

Schedule and Results

Result: L 2-3 (2OT)

Women's Soccer at Saint Mary's University

Wednesday, October 17th, 2018 – 6:30 P.M. at Winona, Minn. - Ochrymowycz Field

Knights clipped by Cardinals, 3-2, in double overtime

Emma Wasend
Emma Wasend
Photo: Nathan Klok

WINONA, Minn. – The Carleton College women’s soccer team erased a pair of deficits before absorbing a 3-2 double-overtime loss at Saint Mary’s University on Wednesday. Nora Mertz (Jr./Evanston, Ill./Evanston) and Emma Wasend (Jr./Denver, Colo./George Washington) tallied goals for the Knights, who played their sixth overtime game of the season.

“Todays result was incredibly disappointing, but we are committed to finishing the season with a fight,” said Carleton head coach Jocelyn Keller. “We played as a team today, brought a serious attack, dominated in the offensive third and even had a questionable ball on the endline/in goal in the second half. We needed some luck today, and we had none.”

The Knights (5-5-4, 2-3-4 MIAC) dominated possession for long stretches of gameplay, outshooting the Cardinals (6-8-0, 2-7-0 MIAC) 17-10 for the contest, as well as earning 11 corner-kicks to the home team’s 1. Ultimately the Cardinals clamped down when it mattered and did not allow a shot attempt in either overtime session.

Melina Rodriguez got the scoring started in the eighth minute when she knocked home a pass from Maura Michener for an early Saint Mary’s lead. During the rest of the half both teams felt each other out, but no more goals were scored.

In the second half, Carleton came out inspired, and were rewarded with an impressive 45 minutes of attacking soccer. Mertz got the Knights on the board in the 56th minute when Annika Martensson’s (Sr./Wauwatosa, Wis./Divine Savior Holy Angels) cross into the box was tipped before Libby Franchot (So./Minneapolis, Minn./Blake School) tracked down the deflection and found Mertz for a close-range finish.

The tie didn’t last for long, as less than a minute later Michener scored on a laser free-kick from 40 yards out to push the Cardinals back into the lead.

Carleton was able to answer though when in the 66th minute Martensson found Wasend with a pass on the left side of the box, and Wasend did a quick curl before arcing her shot into the right side of the goal.

As the clock wound down both teams had great opportunities to take the lead, but neither came to fruition. For the Knights a deflected ball in the box trickled tantalizing close to crossing the goal line, however a Saint Mary’s defender was able to clear to it away with only a few blades of grass to spare. Carleton goalkeeper Anna Roethler (So./St Louis Park, Minn./St Louis Park) added a huge stop with three minutes to play when she came off her line and snuffed out a lightning-fast Cardinal attack.

In overtime, both teams pressed hard for the golden goal, with rapid movement up and down the field. Finally, in the 104th minute, Saint Mary’s found the winner when Mary Loy’s falling effort from the center of the box slid into the left corner of the net.

“Today the play was selfless and passionate,” Keller said. “It’s nice to see the Knights finish again, that’s been a focus earlier this week. I’m proud of our team today. I’m so sad for the result.”

With only two conference games left to play, Carleton will have their work cut out for them as they have to make up four points to tie for the sixth and final playoff spot. The late-season push continues this Saturday, Oct. 20 when the Knights take visit Bethel University at 1:00pm. This game will the opening part of a doubleheader with the men’s team.