Skip Navigation

Varsity Athletics

Women's Soccer

Carleton Athletics

Schedule and Results

Result: L 1-3

Women's Soccer hosts Wheaton College

Friday, September 6th, 2013 – 4:00 p.m. at Northfield, Minn. - Bell Field

Second-Half Surge Lifts No. 3 Wheaton Over Knights

By Andrew Harvey '15
Ellie Wilson
Ellie WIlson's breakaway goal tied the score 1-1 in the second half.
Photo: Tom Dahlin

NORTHFIELD, Minn. – After a scoreless first half, a flurry of goals shortly after intermission resulted in No. 3-ranked Wheaton College dealing the Carleton College women’s soccer team a 3-1 loss on Friday. Ellie Wilson’s (Jr./Roseville, Minn./Roseville) first goal of the season briefly tied the contest, but the Thunder responded with two more quick goals en route to the victory

Carleton (1-3) outshot Wheaton (2-0) in the first half 8-4, but the Knights were unable to capitalize on the offensive advantage. The hosts’ best chance came in the 27th minute when Amanda d’Almeida (Fy./Coupeville, Wash./Coupeville) leapt up and headed a cross from a free kick towards the open corner of the net, but it was turned away at the last second by a Thunder defender.

Wheaton also had a solid chance in the 38th when Ally Witt sent a shot off the crossbar. Neither team could convert on their chances, however, and remained in a scoreless tie at the break.

After a formation shift to open the second half, the Thunder struck quickly in the opening moments of the second half. Following a short corner kick, the ball was headed back across the goal and Bailey Wysocki ultimately headed it into the right corner of the net in the 47th minute.

Wilson tallied the equalizer in the 51st, when Arielle Koshkin (Sr./Oakland, Calif./Head Royce School) sent a long ball over the defense that Wilson chased down on a fast break and dribbled inside the 18-yard box. With the opposing goalkeeper rushing off her line, Wilson chipped the ball over the keeper and under to crossbar to record her first score of the 2013 campaign.

The momentum gained from that score quickly faded, however. In the 52nd minute a defensive turnover gave the ball to Witt and she tapped it along the six-yard line to Wysocki, who rocketed home her second goal of the half.

The Thunder would add one more to the tally in the 56th minute when Sarah Guidera lifted a rebounded ball into the top left corner of the net from 23 yards out to make the score 3-1.

The teams finished the match even in shot attempts with 14 per side. Playing hard the full 90 minutes, the Knights managed a trio of shots over the final two minutes, but the whistle sounded before they could connect, ending the match.

Carleton next travels to UW-Stevens Point on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 2:00 p.m.

More Event Info