Goals of the Carleton Athletic Initiative
A Winning Combination
Whether it's a varsity team going for glory in the MIAC Championships, one of the Ultimate Frisbee teams competing at the DI or DIII College National Championships, or Carls simply participating in individual or team sports to just play and engage with friends, athletics play a special part in the lives of Carleton students.
Offering quality athletics programs and facilities requires a substantial financial commitment. That's why a group of former athletes have established the Carleton Athletic Initiative.
The Carleton Athletic Initiative:
- Provide an ongoing way for alumni, parents, and friends to enhance the experience of Carleton’s varsity, club, and intramural student-athletes.
- Strengthen the collaboration between groups of passionate alumni supporters and the College by providing an open and inclusive decision making process.
- Allow for alumni gifts designated for athletics to receive class and reunion gift recognition in the Alumni Annual Fund.
The physical Education and Recreation Department identified the following areas of priority for CAI dollars in 2016:
- Continue funding for club teams allocating 20 percent of the CAI dollars raised, allowing them to target initiatives identified.
- Two new glass regulation basketball hoops for Cowlings
- Purchase record board for Track and Field at the Stadium
- Purchase score board for indoor Track and Field
- Branding expenses for new logo at Rec Center, Stadium, and Cowling
- Wall mounted flat screen monitor with digital camera system (encased) for swimming
- New scoreboard at Laird Stadium
- Install new outdoor throwing cage
- Purchase lounge chairs and tables for large seating and study area on 2nd floor stadium
- Excavating/paving of path to softball field
- Continue supporting new uniforms fund for varsity athletics, which will rotate replacement cycles for each team.
CAI is vital to the future of our varsity, club and physical education programs here at Carleton. With 100 percent of the Carleton student body going through our department in their fours years here (through the PE requirement, club, intramural or varsity sports), CAI can impact every student. The CAI efforts have allowed our student-athletes to have a better experience at Carleton through safer equipment, improving technology needs and allowing our department to offer the best athletic experience possible, which is what we strive to offer every day!
-Heidi Jaynes, Associate Athletic Director, Head Volleyball Coach, and Senior Woman Administrator