International Travel Risk Management

Global Travel
Faculty and staff traveling internationally on College business are covered for emergency evacuation assistance through Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI).  Record your travel with the International Travel Record.  CISI provides medical referrals, evacuation assistance, and a wide range of travel assistance

To print your CISI card:

1.       Go to

2.       Select that you are an insured

3.       User name:

4.       Password: carletoncisi

A summary of benefits for faculty and staff is listed below.

Students on rostered Off-Campus programs have emergency assistance, evacuation services and medical benefits.  Faculty and staff planning to travel with students must notify the Risk Manager (507-222-4178) to insure that the student travel is reported.

Faculty and staff have the option of purchasing additional international insurance on a personal basis by following the steps listed in the Faculty CISI Self Enrollment Checklist.

Benefits for Faculty and Staff
Benefits for Students on a Roster Program
Faculty CISI Self Enrollment Checklist

High Risk Travel Destinations
The College considers the safety of its students and staff to be of the utmost importance.  Travelers wishing to travel to countries on the U.S. State Department Warnings List need to ensure all risks have been fully and carefully considered by relevant travelers and administrators.  Travelers and administrators must evaluate to determine whether such travel is reasonable on a case-by-case basis and whether insurance is excluded for the travel location.

Please contact the Risk Manager (507-222-4178) if you are considering travel to any countries on the U.S. State Department Warnings List and in particular:  Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, North Korea, and Cuba.

Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
It is recommended that all employees and students traveling internationally sign up for the U.S. State Department's Safe Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).  This is a system utilized by the State Department to connect with the traveler, providing information should conditions change in the foreign location and assist in an emergency.  The traveler need only enroll once and then can update as trips are planned.

Other Resources

International Travel Warnings (US State Department)

University Risk Management and Insurance Association (URMIA)

Services for American Citizens Abroad