Student Job Description: Chaplain’s Associate (CA)
Contract: 8 - 10 hours per week/Academic year
Department: Office of the Chaplain
Updated: January 2016
Chaplain’s Associates are required to:
· Attend weekly staff meetings with the other CAs and the Chaplain to plan services, activities, and to share ideas.
· Work on special projects as assigned each term. Based on the CA’s interest, such projects might include leading a discussion, meditation, or scripture study group; preaching at Chapel; facilitating Chapel-sponsored social events, service projects or social justice activities; or arranging for “religious road trips.” Other projects form in response to the talents, interests, and imaginations of Chaplain’s Associates.
· Work one to two hours per week in the Office of the Chaplain to help with the details of promoting religious life at Carleton, such as preparation for religious activities and events and publicity.
· Attend and serve as ushers at weekly Chapel services, memorial services, and other special events.
· Assist in facilitating student leadership and participation in services.
· Prepare food and refreshments, do cleanup, arrange for microphones and recording equipment, and prepare publicity for weekly Chapel services and other special services.
· Meet with representatives of specific student religious groups on a regular basis to inform them of Chapel resources, events and activities. Keep the Chaplain informed about various student religious group events and activities.
· Assume responsibility for other tasks as assigned on an “as needed” basis.
A Chaplain’s Associate should be attentive to the religious, spiritual and ethical needs of the campus, and be supportive of religious diversity without compromising her or his own convictions. A Chaplain’s Associate must possess initiative, openness to the new or unfamiliar, a willingness to share and speak out on his or her own faith, an ability to listen to others, and an eagerness to grow.