Students Who Speak a Language Other Than English

Satisfaction of the language requirement does not happen automatically for students who are proficient in a language other than English.

Information specific to First Year Students

Students need to provide objective evidence of their current language proficiency in all four skills of reading, writing, speaking, and listening. These are the options for demonstrating proficiency:

1. Placement exams:  If you have taken an AP or IB exam you might be eligible for exemption. Read policies regarding AP and IB credit for each language. 

2. High school transcript: Provide a high school transcript that indicates that the primary language of instruction in the student's secondary school was a language other than English.

3. Verification by Carleton professor: Have a Carleton language professor attest to your proficiency. The professor should send an email to Associate Dean Andrew Fisher verifying that you have the written and oral language skills of someone who has had at least four terms of formal instruction in a language.

4. Testing: Dean Fisher's office has a list of qualified testers that they will contact, at your request, to administer a test to prove written and oral proficiency.  The level at which we consider students proficient is typically that they can read, write, and discuss literature in a foreign language, or can pick up a newspaper and discuss what they read, verbally and in a written essay.

If English is not your native language and you think you have the skills to be exempted from the language requirement, download and complete the Bilingual Petition located in the upper right corner. Return the completed form (and accompanying high school transcript, if applicable) to Karen Moldenhauer in the Dean of the College Office, Laird 131, x4300.