IM Basketball (3 on 3) Rules
Defining the Leagues:
All players of all skill levels are invited to play in this league. There are no gender quotas.
Co-ed Floor Division
One man and one woman must be on the court at all times. The existence of this division depends on the interest level.
- No in-season basketball team members. No more than one Varsity and one JV player may be on the court at any time. (Varsity = letter winner, JV = played a season non-letter winner)
- All players must be on the team roster. If someone off the roster plays, the team will be disqualified for the game.
- One woman must be on the court at all times in the Coed League. For the sake of equal participation, teams should be held to six or seven players.
In the interest of fairness, team captains should refrain from "stacking" their team. Ex-Varsity and ex-JV players, depending on their current skill levels, should be acknowledged.
Also, foul and foul call problems should be addressed to the Czar and/or the IM Coordinator, NOT the opposing team. Any discussion of sportsmanship should take place OUTSIDE of the games.
A game consists of five minutes of warm-up, two twenty minute halves, and a five -minute half. The game should be timed by players not in the game when possible.
Each team is allotted two 45 second timeouts during the game.
All fouls are be called by the offense --there are NO officials. Upon the calling of a foul, play must stop and the ball taken at the top of the key.
Substitutes may enter the game only on a dead ball. Substituting on the fly results in a technical foul shot.
Captains should instruct their teams to wear color coordinated shirts. A "skins vs. Shirts" game should be avoided whenever possible.
Each game begins with shooting for ball.
Teams alternate possessions on tied balls. The team captains are responsible for keeping track of the "possession arrow."
The team captains from both teams are responsible for posting the scores on Caucus. In the case of a forfeiture, the team that showed must mark down the score of they will forfeit as well --both teams will forfeit automatically if the game score is not reported, regardless of reasons.
The team captain(s) of the team requesting a rescheduled game are responsible for finding a suitable time. A team must reschedule a game within a week with the opposing team or else the game will be forfeited --any problems with rescheduling must be addressed to the Czar and Coordinator immediately.
Team Captain Responsibilities:
Each team captain has the following responsibilities:
- Put every participating player on their roster.
- Get players to the games promptly as to avoid unneeded delays
- Notify each player of game times and rules as to avoid unneeded confusion.
- Write down game scores on Caucus.
- Keep track of the changing score and possession arrow during a game.
- Suit up players in similarly-colored clothing to identify their team members on the floor.
- Calling the opposing team captain(s) and/or the Czar if there are any problems with scheduling, sportsmanship, etc.
The $20 deposit that all teams have paid will be refunded if a team does not forfeit any games. If a Captain does not think that her/his team will be able to play, it is her/his responsibility to notify the Czar and opposing team captain(s) at least 2-3 hours in advance. The three strike rule will be enforced as follows:
- Upon the first forfeiture, the team captain will receive a warning.
- Upon the second forfeiture, the forfeit check will be confiscated.
- Upon the third forfeiture, the team will be removed from the league.
Games will start at the scheduled time. Please be there in advance if possible so that you have ample time to warm-up. A team must begin a game with three players (a team is allowed ten minutes, after warm-up, to retrieve any needed players, providing they are on the roster). Fifteen minutes after the scheduled start, the game will be forfeited. There are no shot clocks, scorekeepers, or officials in the game --a Czar will be present at all times during the regularly-scheduled games.
NO FIGHTING IS ALLOWED IN CARLETON INTRAMURAL BASKETBALL. PLAYERS ENGAGING IN VIOLENT BEHAVIOR WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE GAME AND IT WILL BE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE CZARS AND THE IM COORDINATOR WHETHER MORE SERIOUS DISCIPLINARY ACTION IS NEEDED.
- Problems should be referred to:
Mikki Showers, IM Coordinator x4481