Vehicle and Parking Regulations
Motor Vehicles and Parking
x4437 or 507-222-4437 (if no answer, call x4444 or 507-222-4444)
All student motor vehicles, including students living off-off (Northfield Option), are required to be registered with Security Services. Applications may be submitted via the Online Vehicle Registration Form, or may be picked up in the Security Services office, Sayles-Hill 205. Faculty and staff vehicles must also be registered in order to park on campus, and applications can be obtained in the Security Services office.
It is the responsibility of all students who bring a motor vehicle to Northfield to be aware of the motor vehicle policies and regulations found in the Student Motor Vehicle Policy, which is in effect from the beginning of Fall term to the end of Spring term final exams.
Your assigned parking location is the only place on campus you are allowed to park during the hours of 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., M-F. Vehicles with off-off-campus permits may not park anywhere on campus during these hours. Student vehicles are not to park on city streets between the hours of 2 a.m. and 6 a.m.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have been assigned to the TOWNHOUSE parking lot...
Motor Vehicle Policies
Security Services administrates the motor vehicle policy for Carleton College. Students desiring to maintain a motor vehicle in Northfield after the first day of classes must obtain permission to do so. Faculty and Staff vehicles must be registered in order to park on campus. Please familiarize yourself with the Faculty/Staff Parking Regulations or the Student Motor Vehicle Policy, and direct any questions to the Transportation Coordinator in Security Services in Sayles-Hill 205, call x4437, (507) 222-4437, or email email@example.com.
Applications for student permits are required, and may be submitted via the Online Vehicle Registration Form, obtained at the Security Services office, or downloaded here: Motor Vehicle Registration Form
Completed applications should be returned to the Security Services office, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be notified by campus mail regarding the status of your application.
Parking regulations are included in the Motor Vehicle Policy. Violations include:
- possession in Northfield of an unregistered vehicle: first offense, $50 fine; second offense, $75 fine; subsequent offenses, $100 fine, autoclamp, tow, or loss of parking privileges on campus;
- parking on a city street between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. or unauthorized parking of a registered vehicle on campus: first offense, $10 fine; second offense, $20; subsequent offenses, $40 fine, tow, or loss of parking privileges on campus;
- parking in a handicapped stall, up to $200 fine and/or tow;
- parking in a fire lane, $25 fine and/or tow;
- all other violations of Carleton College parking regulations, $10 fine and/or tow;
- careless or reckless driving on any campus road or walkway; first offense, $20; second offense, $40 fine; third offense, loss of right to operate a motor vehicle on campus for a period of one year.
- offenders will be responsible for all fees incurred in determining ownership of a motor vehicle.
Information on other transportation options available at Carleton, can be found on the Maps and Transportation website.