2016-17 Application Instructions for Returning Students

The following application instructions are for the 2016-17 academic year. If you are a returning student and are wanting to apply for financial aid for the 2017-18 academic year, please go here.


  • Applications submitted after March 28, 2016 will still be considered for financial aid. However, award amounts will be based on available funding and may not follow our normal guidelines and practices.
  • Returning Carleton students must reapply for financial aid each year.

To complete the 2016-17 application process, follow the steps below.


ChecklistComplete both student and parent 2015 Federal tax forms and make a copy of them.  Then submit the completed tax forms to the IRS and if at all possible submit them electronically.  Electronic submission of your completed taxes to the IRS will help to avoid delays later in the Federal financial aid application process. 

NOTE: Carleton student employment earnings MUST be included on your taxes.

STEP TWO:Profile

File the 2016-2017 CSS PROFILE Application. Use Carleton College’s CSS code number 6081.

A valid credit card number must be provided to pay the processing fee.


Submit federal tax documents to the College Board IDOC service. After filing your PROFILE, you will receive correspondence from the College Board instructing you to submit federal tax documents to their IDOC service on behalf of Carleton. If parent or student is not required by federal law to file taxes, they must complete the tax non-filer statement.  Not sure if you need to file taxes?  You can find help here.

The College Board IDOC service will collect the following forms:

  • final copies of parent and student 2015 Federal income tax returns, including all 2015 W-2’s, 1099’s, schedules and attachments, (drafts or estimates are not acceptable)
  • non-filer tax statements if applicable.

We encourage families to utilize the document upload feature to submit your tax information to IDOC rather than printing a cover sheet and mailing the tax information to IDOC. Uploading is the fastest, easiest, and most secure way to submit these documents.

However, it is important that you upload or send only one set of tax information to the College Board. Please help us try to be more efficient by using this service. However, if you are not comfortable with this request, you may forward your tax documents directly to the Student Financial Services Office.


Complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) or a Renewal FAFSA.

Please complete the FAFSA 2 WEEKS AFTER submitting your taxes electronically to the IRS or 4-6 WEEKS AFTER submitting them through the postal service.

When completing the FAFSA, please agree to the IRS data retrieval when prompted to automatically fill in tax information on the FAFSA.  This will help to avoid additional information requests to complete the Federal financial aid application process.

An FSA ID is required for a parent and the student. The FSA ID is comprised of a username and password that is used online to log in and complete your Renewal FAFSA application on the web. Both the student and one parent with financial information on the FAFSA must have an FSA ID to electronically sign the FAFSA. Without these electronic signatures, the FAFSA will not be valid.

If you have lost or forgotten your FSA ID, you can go to edit on My FSA ID and click “Forgot My Username” underneath the “Username” field to access the process of retrieving your information. If you have lost or forgotten your FSA ID password, you can go to edit on My FSA ID and click “Forgot My Password” underneath the “Password” field to access the process of retrieving your information. 

STEP FIVE:Student Employment

If you are interested in student employment and have not been hired by a supervisor to work for the upcoming year, go to the Student Financial Services website, log in, and complete the Student Work Preference Form by May 20th. All Work Preference Forms received by this date will be given consideration for available positions. Priority consideration for open positions will be given to students with need-based financial aid.  Forms received after May 20th will be considered for remaining openings.

STEP SIX:More Information

The Student Financial Services Office may need to collect other forms and information. If needed, we will request them directly from you. Please complete and return them to the Student Financial Services Office.  Such forms may include:

  • Verification Worksheet (Dependent). Do not complete unless requested.
  • Other documents requested by the College (sent to you).

If you are required to submit a Verification Worksheet or other requested documents, please submit this information directly to the Student Financial Services Office by mail, fax, or email.

Student Financial Services
Scoville Hall; Suite 102
1 North College St.
Carleton College
Northfield, MN 55057
Fax: 507-222-4269
Email: financialaid@carleton.edu