The Pre-Externship Timeline
- Once you indicate your willingness to volunteer, you will be asked to complete our Externship Host Enrollment Form.
- With the information from the Host Enrollment Form, the Career Center puts together a basic externship job description, which we post onto our job/internship database so that students can apply online.
- Each term, the deadline for student applications is typically at the end of the third week of the term that precedes the break period during which you are planning on hosting a student. For example, if you are hosting a student over Winter Break, the student application deadline for your externship opportunity would be at the end of the third week of Fall Term.
- When applying, students submit a resume and cover letter addressed specifically to your particular externship opportunity.*
- The Career Center compiles all of the application materials and sends them to you to review.
- During the application review process, you decide on a pool of applicants you would like to interview, either over the phone, via Skype, or in person if you live close enough to Carleton.
- The Career Center contacts those students you do not want to interview and, if desired, we help set up the interviews for those students you do want to interview.
- Once you have interviewed a pool of students, you then make your final decision and let the Career Center know who you have selected and who you have not. We notify the students as to if they were selected or not.
- From the time you review the applications, conduct interviews, and make your selection(s), about one week to ten days have passed. The turn‐around time is fairly quick as students need to make flight and other logistical arrangements as soon as possible.
*Note that Hosts may require applicants to fill out or complete other application materials in certain circumstances.