Nonprofits & Volunteering
Nonprofits hire using a different process than large private sector firms. You won’t find many nonprofits recruiting on campus, but that doesn’t mean the jobs aren’t out there! The staff in the Career Center can advise you about how to find the kinds of jobs you’re looking for.
- Idealist.org - The world’s best resource to find volunteer opportunities, nonprofit jobs, internships, and organizations working to change the wrold since 1995.
- The Nonprofit Times - This online periodical is filled with interesting articles about careers in nonprofits. It includes an excellent "help wanted" section as well.
- SocialService.com - Free job searching, resume posting and email updates of new jobs posted.
- GuideStar - Find jobs at nonprofit organizations across the country by field, type of organization, income range, and location on this comprehensive nonprofit database.
- Philanthropy.com - Serving nonprofit leaders, fundraisers, grant makers, and others involved in the philanthropic enterprise, including with listings of career opportunities.
- Commongoodcareers.org - National search firm for the nonprofit sector.
- Career Center Volunteer Page - Information and links to several volunteer opportunities.
- CCCE - Carleton's ACT Center provides volunteer experience that can lead to paid positions in the future or other volunteer jobs.
- The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits - A great resource for finding out about nonprofit agencies in the state, as well as possible job openings.
- Earthwatch Institute - This institute engages people worldwide in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment.
The Big Guys
These programs are some of the largest volunteer organizations of their kind. They serve both in the US and abroad.
- Peace Corps - Peace Corps Volunteers travel overseas to make real differences in the lives of real people.
- AmeriCorps*VISTA - AmeriCorps places individuals with community-based agencies to help find long-term solutions to the problems caused by urban and rural poverty. Lots of volunteer opportunities available.
- Teach for America - Large program to help educate children. Site also has an online application.
- Catholic Volunteer Network - The largest and most comprehensive guide to Catholic and Christian volunteer programs available. The RESPONSE Directory allows you to search all volunteer opportunities offered by 200 member programs.