Nonprofits & Volunteering
All industries have their own hiring process and timeline. Nonprofits are no different. You'll find nonprofits recruiting on campus throughout the year by offering information sessions or tabling. Many Carleton alums working within this sector come to campus for 30 Minute informational interviews and workshops to share their expertise. Career Center staff can also provide resources to find positions which allow you to make a difference and be part of the solution.
Building a Nonprofit Toolkit - Use this guide to develop a broad set of tools and experiences that will help you stand out in the nonprofit job search and allow you to be more effective in advancing the causes you care about.
Created by Katie Jumbe '04
- The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits - A phenomenal job board (includes internships, paid positions, and board positions). They also provide grant-writing training.
- Idealist.org - The world’s best resource to find volunteer opportunities, nonprofit jobs, internships, and organizations working to change the world since 1995.
- MAP for Nonprofits - Provides training and resources to improve nonprofit management. It offers board development, budgeting, and other trainings.
- Minnesota Council on Foundations - A good job board for fundraising positions. It also has a searchable database of grant opportunities. It costs money, but is worth it for organizations doing institutional fundraising.
- CCCE - Carleton's Center for Community and Civic Engagement provides volunteer experience that can lead to paid positions in the future.
- The Nonprofit Times - This online periodical is filled with interesting articles about careers in nonprofits. It includes an excellent "help wanted" section as well.
- SocialService.com - Free job searching, resume posting and email updates of new jobs posted.
- GuideStar - Find jobs at nonprofit organizations across the country by field, type of organization, income range, and location on this comprehensive nonprofit database.
- Philanthropy.com - Serving nonprofit leaders, fundraisers, grant makers, and others involved in the philanthropic enterprise, including with listings of career opportunities.
- Commongoodcareers.org - National search firm for the nonprofit sector.
- Earthwatch Institute - This institute engages people worldwide in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment.
The Big Guys
These programs are some of the largest volunteer organizations of their kind. They serve both in the US and abroad.
- Peace Corps - Peace Corps Volunteers travel overseas to make real differences in the lives of real people.
- The Optimist Podcast - Each episode is a different interview with a current Peace Corps Volunteer all over the world, and the volunteers offer great insight into the realities being a volunteer, such as the cultural adjustments and work.
- AmeriCorps*VISTA - AmeriCorps places individuals with community-based agencies to help find long-term solutions to the problems caused by urban and rural poverty. Lots of volunteer opportunities available.
- Teach for America - Large program to help educate children. Site also has an online application.
- Catholic Volunteer Network - The largest and most comprehensive guide to Catholic and Christian volunteer programs available. The RESPONSE Directory allows you to search all volunteer opportunities offered by 200 member programs.