Getting Paid To Work At Nonprofits
Working for a nonprofit doesn't necessarily mean you won't get paid. There are many ways to make a difference and make a living. Here are some sites you can visit for some ideas.
- Idealist.org - This resource is geared toward people interested in nonprofits in any capacity. Resources on this site include a directory of over 10,000 nonprofit organizations worldwide, a guide to volunteer and intern opportunities, and a listing of jobs available.
- The Nonprofit Times - This online periodical is filled with interesting articles about careers in nonprofits. It includes an excellent "help wanted" section as well.
- SocialService.com - Free job searching, resume posting and email updates of new jobs posted.
- GuideStar - Find jobs at nonprofit organizations across the country by field, type of organization, income range, and location on this comprehensive nonprofit database.
- Environmental Careers Organization - Green jobs, internships, and more.
Volunteer Opportunities At Nonprofits
- Career Center Volunteer Page - Information and links to several volunteer opportunities.
- The ACT Center - Carleton's ACT Center provides volunteer experience that can lead to paid positions in the future or other volunteer jobs.
- The Urban Institute - This nonprofit policy research organization investigates the social and economic problems confronting the nation. They also study the government policies and public and private programs designed to alleviate them.
- The Minnesota Council of Nonprofits - A great resource for finding out about nonprofit agencies in the state, as well as possible job openings.
Learn About Nonprofits
A large number of Carleton alums are employed in the nonprofit sector. You can use the Alumni Directory to search for people in a specific industry or geographical location. Also stop by the Career Center to browse our books on nonprofits and other careers that make a difference.
Keep in mind that nonprofits hire using a different process than large private sector firms. You won't find many nonprofits recruiting on campus, but that doesn't mean the jobs aren't out there. The staff in the Career Center can advise you about how to find the kinds of jobs you're looking for.
Suggested Career Center Library Resources
- Minnesota NonProfit Directory by The Minnesota Council of NonProfits.
- Jobs and Careers with Nonprofit Organizations: Profitable Opportunities with Nonprofits by Ron & Caryl Krannich.
- Non-Profits & Education Job Finder by Daniel Lauber.