The Pre-Externship Timeline
- Once you indicate your willingness to volunteer, you will be asked to complete our Externship Host Enrollment Form.
- The Career Center takes the information from the Host Enrollment Form and posts it on our job/internship board (called the Tunnel) for students see. In addition, all applications for externships are submitted through the Tunnel.
- The deadline for student applications is in early October.
- When applying, students submit a resume and cover letter addressed specifically to your particular externship opportunity.*
- The Career Center compiles all of the application materials and emails them to you to review.
- During the application review process, you decide on a pool of applicants you would like to interview, and then you contact them to set up a time to interview them, typically over the phone or via Skype.
- The Career Center will notify those students you do not select for an interview.
- Once you have made your final selection you inform the Career Center of your top choice along with 2-3 alternates. We will contact the students in the order you ranked them until one accepts. Then we will notify the students who were not selected.
- From the time you review the applications, conduct interviews, and make your selection(s), about one to two weeks have passed. The turn‐around time is fairly quick as students need to make flight and other logistical arrangements as soon as possible.
*Note that Hosts may require applicants to fill out or complete other application materials in certain circumstances.